Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

String response

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: String response Reply with quote

I have a question on how to get rid of that little squeek before each note kicks in. Thin the upper edge of the bridge? I'm using Obligato light strings, and Aubert Deluxe bridge (I really don't want to over-thin it unless I'm sure I'm heading in the right direction) Soundpost is fairly closee to the bridge foot, slightly toward center. Different bows help, but hasn't been a full solution.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
L P Reedy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't notice that, but it could just be my poor hearing. Or maybe you should try a $3 bridge like I use.
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess would have been that the squeak was due to something with the bow or the strings, not the bridge. There is a name for that, but I'm drawing a blank, right now-- as I recall, it is the same word they use regarding sonar sounds, in submarines, when something changes in a target. "Transient noise," maybe?

It could even have to do with the rosin you are using, though I am suspicious that it is technique, not technology.
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chet, are you thinking doppler?

It may be just that the strings and violiin just need to be brroken in a bit more.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope...Doppler is a different concept. When a target makes a change, it can cause a "squeak" or something, called a transient...a noise that occurs briefly, then stops. I think that is the correct term for the sound you are hearing, too.
People that are exceptionally good violinists eliminate those sounds almost entirely when they want to-- so that they can bow endlessly on the same note, up-stroke and down, and you will never hear the change in direction.

Then, there are MY kind of players... other end of the spectrum. Smile

Sometimes, though, those very good players want to accentuate the beginning of a note, and there is an audible "pop" or even a "crunch" that they elicit from the strings, on purpose. That is also considered a good thing. However, when it is NOT on purpose, and un-elicited, we find it annoying. That (all of the above) is why I suspect technique over technology.
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my technique sucks, so you may have nailed it. It may be my previous fiddles were mor accommodating to my style of playing.

Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking with some other members of our little orchestra, we concluded that it could be the weather, or other issues, not the violin itself. He's having similar issues, thought it was the age of the hair on his bow (about 3 years), or maybe aging strings (we're both suffering these same issues, and same conditions with the bows engaging the string). This evening, I tuned my favorite violin, packed it up and in 10 degree weather drove to town about 2o miles, and when I opened my case, all strings had let loose, and bridge off the violin (at least the post was still where it belonged). Then throughout the evening, I had to retune several times. These strings NEVER need but a little tweak over the period of a week. Maybe weather is having an impact.

Last edited by Dave Chandler on Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds reasonable. Smile
ollieken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Dave Reply with quote

Hello Dave I have had the strings snap loose when the room is dry &
last week - 12 C when I got to the Jam I had two lose yet the car was warm When that happen at home I just damp A couple Kleenex
& lay it on the peg head over night & it tighten the pegs .
I know if you want to remove a peg that stuck bad just freeze the peg
with Co2 & it almost fall out . Ken
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: