Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transparent/translucent bow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solomon_97

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Transparent/translucent bow Reply with quote

I have been wondering for some time about getting a bow where the stick of the bow is transparent or translucent. I need one for a project I want to do, but I cannot find it on Google anywhere. I believe the bow will end up being wrapped in something translucent if it is transparent, but a transparent bow would give me more room to experiment. But again, I can't find it anywhere. Is it something that just doesn't exist? Can it exist? Would any plastic or synthetic translucent/transparent material be able to be a bow material? It doesn't have to be a normal bow (and it probably wont get very much use) but it should be at least mostly playable. It will probably end up being a bit bigger and heavier than normal bows anyway. Could this work?
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Solomon... what is the objective of this project... how will the bow be used? why does it need to be translucent?

I am not aware of any available bows that are transparent or translucent, but that does not mean it can't be made.

My first thought is to use polycarbonate..generally available in colors or clear usually available from commercial sign makers... it is unbreakable and probably stiff enough. Acrylic might work but might be subject to breakage

Cheers, Mat
Solomon_97

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to sound really nerdy, but I am planning to string tiny LEDs pointing into it to give it a light-saber effect. It's a present for someone, but will probably end up being a decoration piece. I will look into polycarbonate and acrylic, thanks!
DonLeister

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds cool! I second the polycarbonate, maybe some clear rod can be found to see if it would be stiff enough to proceed with.
Solomon_97

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some polycarbonate rod on Eplastics (http://www.eplastics.com/polycarbonate-rod) which, based on my research, appear to have the right size. Maybe I should go a little bigger to account for the increased flexibility, or should I go the same size? I am pretty new to most of this, but will I need to bend the polycarb rod? Shave it down to the right size? (btw, only the stick is clear. The frog will likely be salvaged from another bow)
DonLeister

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I'm wondering if you are really good at making things? Poly carbonate is tough stuff so even if you can bend a rod to the shape of a bow then you need to attach a head and mortice and drill for the frog and all. That's harder than it sounds even in wood.

I had a thought, call coda bow and describe your bow. They are in the U.S. and are pretty friendly. Maybe they could do something for you.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google "illuminated violin bow" and select images...stuff like this shows up....
http://www.silive.com/southshore/index.ssf/2010/10/alexander_markov_and_his_hipst.html
Good luck!... Mat
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I googled "illuminated bows", and found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6sOYShLLm0

I don't know how they did it, but the effect is pretty cool. I am guessing that there is simply an LED strip of some sort attached to a regular violin bow.

I'm sure the kids in the audience were intrigued. Smile Made me kinda want one myself. Smile
SooT

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered an Incredibow?

http://incredibow.com/
Solomon_97

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have, but they don't seem to be what I want. I am going to email around to see if there is anyone who could help me with this, and if not, I will probably just get a thin string of LEDs.
DonLeister

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One with changing colors and sequential flashing lights?!?!!!
Solomon_97

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can find someone who can help me with that too! Otherwise it will be basic.
Nick Walker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can polycarboanate be planed? You may be able to find a rectangular column to make one of so.
yinfeel

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Transparent/translucent bow Reply with quote

Solomon_97 wrote:
I have been wondering for some time about getting a bow where the stick of the bow is transparent or translucent. I need one for a project I want to do, but I cannot find it on Google anywhere. I believe the bow will end up being wrapped in something translucent if it is transparent, but a transparent bow would give me more room to experiment. But again, I can't find it anywhere. Is it something that just doesn't exist? Can it exist? Would any plastic or synthetic translucent/transparent material be able to be a bow material? It doesn't have to be a normal bow (and it probably wont get very much use) but it should be at least mostly playable. It will probably end up being a bit bigger and heavier than normal bows anyway. Could this work?

hello,Solomon.It's looks very cool.But,i never see the bow is transparent.But,i know the carbon fiber bows.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: