Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mica powder ground

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H.R.Fisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Mica powder ground Reply with quote

I am considering mica powder mixed with a thick sugar water solution and rubbing it on the bare wood as a ground.Has anyone done this? Will this cause any problems? Thanks for your responses.
Henry
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used burnt sugar as a sealer, and I've used ground mica in ground too. On the sugar, I would not use it unless you can think of a really good reason because it draws moisture and never truly dries out until you've sealed the sugar in with varnish. Its hard to get a nice varnish over end grains that have sugar embedded in the grain. As I said, I've used burnt sugar, but the goal was the color it gave the rays in the maple, not because its a good seal.

As to ground mica, I've done that (I have mica in my yard in great abundance, and live in an area where they mine it commercially). It might make a good pore filler, but I really couldn't see any additional sparkle if that's what you're looking for. You might try it on a scrap piece of maple, perhaps mixed in with some very diluted clear or amber shellac.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MANFIO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mica can be added to oil varnish to make a ground. Always make many tests.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7875988@N02/with/464604020/
H.R.Fisher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MANFIO wrote:
Mica can be added to oil varnish to make a ground. Always make many tests.

I tried mixing mica with spirit varnish.This did not work very well with the alcohol base. It seemed to make sort of a foggy haze,Oil base varnish appears to work better.I will keep on experimenting.Thanks for your kind responses.
byacey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The refractive index of mica is probably closer to oil rather than whatever resin is used in your spirit varnish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: