Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The best moment to bend the stick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rteneos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: The best moment to bend the stick Reply with quote

Hi everybody

Can yuu tell me what is the best moment to bend the stick?
I'm bulding my first bow in Ipê Wood before using pernambuco wood.

Here are the pictures of my progress.
https://goo.gl/photos/yvyvkNBsw7CzqiGz6

Tnaks in advance for any tip.

Roberto

Roberto O. Teneos Gutierrez
-------------------------------------------------------
** Você é o único obstáculo entre o que é e o que deseja ser. **
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you referring to the suggested stick dimensions for bending?

Out of curiosity, how are you learning to make a bow? Do you have a mentor or teacher?
Nick Walker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm bending a bass bow today. I start bending when my graduations are 1-2mm over size. You should be constantly feelng the stick and staying somewhat on the stiff side. Once the camber is complete you can finish your graduations with a curved bottom plane and a file on the sides behind the head.

How's your making going Mr. Berg?
ctviolin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The best moment to bend the stick Reply with quote

rteneos wrote:
Hi everybody
Can you tell me what is the best moment to bend the stick?

Roberto

Roberto

I'm just learning also, so take whatever I say with a large grain of salt, ok?

I bend the stick as one on the last things done, after cutting the (usually octagonal/round or oval) profile of the stick approximately to the correct (starting out thicker at the frog end, and getting thinner towards the tip) dimensions.

But before I cut the slot for the frog and before I make the 'end cut' to accommodate the button.

So - the stick is bent (I use an alcohol lamp) and straightened (as in bent with no twisting of the wood, and keeping the stick straight looking directly down on it, right?) then, keeping in mnd that the frog still needs to be attached to the stick - bend so that the hair will JUST MISS the stick with the frog on. That will mean that you're going to have to know about how high or tall your frog is going to be - unless you want to wait till you also have the frog handy.

Have you ever haired a bow?
rteneos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatwasithinking wrote:
I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you referring to the suggested stick dimensions for bending?

Out of curiosity, how are you learning to make a bow? Do you have a mentor or teacher?

Hi whatwasithinking

First of all I would like to apologize for the delay in answer your question.

Im reading a lot about the subject "making a violin bow". In my research I have found a friend who is giving me key points to observ in my construction.

Now, my first bow is very advanced and now I need to bend the stick.

So I stopped to read more about bending.

Best regards.

Roberto

rteneos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: The best moment to bend the stick Reply with quote

ctviolin wrote:
rteneos wrote:
Hi everybody
Can you tell me what is the best moment to bend the stick?

Roberto

Roberto

I'm just learning also, so take whatever I say with a large grain of salt, ok?

I bend the stick as one on the last things done, after cutting the (usually octagonal/round or oval) profile of the stick approximately to the correct (starting out thicker at the frog end, and getting thinner towards the tip) dimensions.

But before I cut the slot for the frog and before I make the 'end cut' to accommodate the button.

So - the stick is bent (I use an alcohol lamp) and straightened (as in bent with no twisting of the wood, and keeping the stick straight looking directly down on it, right?) then, keeping in mnd that the frog still needs to be attached to the stick - bend so that the hair will JUST MISS the stick with the frog on. That will mean that you're going to have to know about how high or tall your frog is going to be - unless you want to wait till you also have the frog handy.

Have you ever haired a bow?

Hi ctviolin

I really appreciate your help and tips.

Im observing each detail I can. Some times I dont have a tool to do the job. In these cases I try to build someting to help me finish my work.

You can see my progress here.

Now my worst fear is to break the stick, so Im taking a lot of courage to go ahead Smile
I saw people bending the stick using a form. In other video, the luthier took the stick with his hands and force a little bit the stick until reach de right curve. Obviously heating the stick before bend. Smile

Ah, yes! I know how to rehair a bow. Very Happy

My daughter plays violin and here in Brazil is very expensive to rehair the violin bow. So I decided to learn the job.

By the way, Ive learned how to carve a bridge, and setup violin pegs. Smile

Maybe one day I take courage to start learning how to make a violin.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: