Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi from Brisbane, Australia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Introduction, Rules and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: Hi from Brisbane, Australia Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm approaching the end of my first serious build (an acoustic bass guitar) and getting excited about delving into the world of building violin family instruments. Much to learn and I keep changing my mind about where to begin. Ultimately, I'd like to make myself a nice orchestral bass but thinking of starting smaller (violin or viola) to get my carving chops up and make some mistakes on less expensive wood.
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Brisbane last week. I wish I had known to come meet you.

I realize that Sydney is a great distance from you, but there is a bass-maker there named Matthew Tucker. It would be worth your while to go and visit him. I was in his shop about three weeks ago. He builds great basses, and his very first instrument was actually a bass. I feel as you do, that a violin or viola is a safer start, but he jumped right in with a bass, and succeeded.

Hope you succeed as well.

Chet Bishop
dt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chet,

Thanks very much for your reply.

I wish you had come to meet me too! I've read a lot of your posts over the last few years on here, talkbass etc. What brought you over this side of the globe?

Thanks for the advice. I've got every intention of meeting Matthew Tucker one day and will actually be down there next month and considered contacting him to visit his shop but am reluctant to as I'd be shy about wasting his time, not being either a paying customer and all. I really want to quiz him on where he sources his tonewood though!

Thanks again for the kind words!

Dean
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Introduction, Rules and Suggestions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: