Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Neck Removal Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johngia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Neck Removal Question Reply with quote

I have an 100 year old violin where the neck has broken loose everywhere except where attached to the button. I believe the standard procedure is to use a thin saw to separate the button from the neck.

I would like to avoid removing any material. Is there any other way of separating? Un-gluing? Heat? Moisture?

Thanks.

John
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is everything but the neck seem to be solidly assembled still?

If only the neck is pulled away and can be pushed back into its original position, I would fill a syringe with hot glue and go in under the fingerboard and inject the hot glue between neck base and upper block, then set your neck angle/alignment.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
johngia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dave.

The back is solid, but the top has a few areas that have separated. At first, I thought that maybe the whole top would have to be removed, but I think just spot gluing the separations should do it.

Excellent suggestion. I think that could work
johngia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started thinking about it --- Danger danger Smile

The neck was in position, so I don't think any dirt got in it. So I assume that the new glue would bond to the old? The joint doesn't need to be cleaned? Old glue removed?
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a single-edge razor blade, place it carefully, and start tapping. Once you have a little gap, drip in some alcohol. I bet the joint will give up quickly, based on how you describe the rest of the job. Make sure the button is loose all the way to the bottom before you try to pull the neck out!
johngia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Michael !

That did the trick. 5 minutes, and the neck was removed. Using the razor blade as you instructed.

Good thing I did take the neck completely off. The top and ribs are separating from the neck block.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: