Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question for Mr.Darnton
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jethro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michaels quote-----

"A violin that is thin or light, or thin and light, just dumps everything in your lap all at once--it doesn't leave anything back to draw out selectively. It's like looking for dinner in the kitchen: you don't want the cabinets to fly open and throw everything out onto the floor when you walk in. Nor do you want the doors stuck so you have to use a crowbar to get anything. Eaters and violinists need to be able to selectively choose what they want at the moment, without anything being forced on them, nor anything being too difficult to get at."

I just read this----- this sounds just like what my 2-nd violin sounds like.
I am wondering now if my top wood was stiff and strong so that it got too thin before I reached the top frequency mode I was attempting to reach.

I still may measure frequency-- but it will not over-ride some minimum thickness or plate weight.
As I remember - the plate mode frequencies are are periodic as you go
up in frequ. Seems like all I have to do it jump up one and have a thicker top. As I remember the main point was to NOT have the top and bottom freqs. coincide--- but to have them staggered.

Thank you so much for slapping us back to reality on lots of things....
Violinmaking seems to be a pretty hard thing to do well- which seems to
make our imaginations work overtime in ways we don't appreciate till
later when we have learned better (and the wood scrap pile is way taller!)

Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: