Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New, New and New

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Introduction, Rules and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrankNichols

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: New, New and New Reply with quote

New to Playing Cello
New to Making Cellos
New to this Forum!

And I look forward to picking everyones brains for all the valuable information available that I can find - as soon as I have some idea of what questions I should be asking I will start asking.

I am retired with no commercial aspirations at all, I am in this purely for the fun and enjoyment and self fulfillment! I found this board via a post at Maestronet where I have been bothering them for a few weeks now.

I am about 4 months into learning to play cello, I have what is most likely a Chinese advanced student cello, at the $5K price point, which I am renting with an option to buy in a year or two if I decide it is what I want. I don't know enough to know at this point, so it seemed better to rent than to buy and regret it.

I found Maestronet in my searching the Internet for all things cello, and started lurking and reading about making and became fascinated with the idea of making a cello and all the intricate detailed work involved. Their advice in general was to make a violin first and work my way into the cello since it is larger and more difficult (and more expensive.)

Being retied I am on a fixed income and so I am going slow on the making thing. I have a shop that has laid mostly dormant since moving into our current home 4 years ago - it is large, has a lot of benches, water and air conditioning - and is full of trash and spiderwebs - lol. I just need to clean it out and fill it with tools and knowledge. I am starting by cleaning organizing and making as many tools as I can (starting with gouges, planes, etc) and frequenting all the flea markets and garage sales looking for stuff that can be repaired and/or repurposed - like a couple 1930's era bench planes I picked up in fairly good shape for about $10 this week, a couple old clocks I will pillage for their springs and some hack saw blades that I will test for hardness and hope to use for irons for thumb planes.

So, that is about it, I look forward to lurking frequently and hopefully not offending anyone with my stupid questions or noob enthusiasm.

Frank
DonLeister

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Frank,

Belated welcome! I wish you well getting going on making some instruments.

But actually, you may not want to pick everyones's brains about building a cello, on the internet at least. I'll try to be a good moderator and leave it at that.

I too hope to make a cello, will be my second, out of about 80 instruments, violins and violas mostly. I've got the wood and it is aging. I'm still looking for a real cello to copy, one I can see in person and make some patterns from, something inspiring! I see lots of commercial cellos that look and sound pleasant but have one already and there's no point in copying mediocrity!
I have all the Strad posters of cellos so that is a possibility too.
Truth is, this would be for my son who is advancing and on a 4/4 now.
I can hear a good cello and a good cellist playing one but I'm not certain what makes a good cello, does that make sense?

Last edited by DonLeister on Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
DonLeister

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Introduction, Rules and Suggestions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: