Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Piano accompaniment recordings for violin repertoire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petavd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Piano accompaniment recordings for violin repertoire Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm a professional piano accompanist from Australia and am working on creating a service for violinists - the first ever streamable catalogue of piano accompaniment recordings for violin.

If you're a violinist, I'd love your opinion on what you think it should include (repertoire, features, etc). You can have your say by filling in this survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/pp4v (note: freebies at the end Smile

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Peta
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a really good idea you have there, Peta.

There are several times in the past where I needed accompaniment, but did not have any. At these moments, I remember using recordings of the music piece to play with; and playing along with the soloist as well.

Nowadays with music software such as Sibelius, one can play selected parts of music notation, increase/decrease the speed, add/subtract parts and dynamics and repeat.

It would be nice to have at least these controls on your website.
petavd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like the idea, Lemuel!

Yes, it makes sense to play along with full performance recordings. Did this make it hard, though, to not just copy the soloist and add your own interpretation?

Mmm, I love the ideas you suggested. I'll add them to the list of possibilities and mull them over.

Thanks!
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it is hard to block out the solo background. There were areas I could not play as well because it was either too fast or slow. Not only does software control provide accompaniment alone, but also the controls to repeat automatically (probably the most useful), to increase or decrease tempo, and to add your own dynamics (louder, softer, pauses), all on several subsections of a music piece. I don't know how one would actually do this sort of thing on the net, without getting involved with MIDI. You might be able to provide "markers" for repeat, like they provide on multi track recorders, but I don't know about the rest.
petavd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, not being able to go back and run sections over and over, like you would when playing solo, does seem a real problem.

I'll look into possibilities for dividing the tracks up with some sort of digital marker. The recordings are, in fact, made using MIDI and top-notch piano sample libraries (so it sounds like a beautifully authentic piano, but you can still make changes to the tracks more easily), so the digital marker thing may actually be quite doable.

Others have suggested being able to see the sheet music at the same time as the audio, so you know where you're up in the music. I was thinking (probably as a more advanced feature to be added in future) it would be interesting to do this and be able to tap on the bar you wanted to play from (on a smartphone or tablet, for example), and pick it up from wherever you want.

My dream is to make it as close to having a real-life accompanist with you as possible. Although building it up to this point will likely take quite some time and lots of iterating.
Lemuel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petavd wrote:
...Others have suggested being able to see the sheet music at the same time as the audio, so you know where you're up in the music. I was thinking (probably as a more advanced feature to be added in future) it would be interesting to do this and be able to tap on the bar you wanted to play from (on a smartphone or tablet, for example), and pick it up from wherever you want...

Yes, that would be nice also as notation software does this, and it's also a good idea to be able to signal the accompaniment to "tap' in at anytime, especially after a Cadenza Solo.

petavd wrote:
...My dream is to make it as close to having a real-life accompanist with you as possible...

Keep in mind that it is the accompaniment that mostly must follow and keep up with the solo, not vice versa.
petavd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, cadenzas really need to be customisable to the soloist. That's something I'm still trying to figure out. I'm definitely thinking along the lines of what you suggested with 'tapping in' at any time.

Quote:
Keep in mind that it is the accompaniment that mostly must follow and keep up with the solo, not vice versa.

Totally. I'd actually love to spend the time researching how to make a 'responsive', essentially artificially intelligent kind of piano recording that can follow the soloist and respond to their cues re tempo, etc. But I think this might be a longer term project Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: