Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My first build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MartinPTaylor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: My first build Reply with quote

Hi, I have just completed my first violin and thought I'd share some pics. My background is in guitar making and I have enjoyed building something more "classical". I have purposely kept the "blonde" look which I know some don't like but I love the timber so, blonde it is!

ollieken

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Martin Reply with quote

Hello martin first one great job I like it
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SioFong Tong

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, good job!

I play guitar when i was a teenager. At that time I liked spruce guitar color than the orange brown cedar. And always have a question why violin can not in white as a spruce guitar.
Last week a friend visited my workshop. She said my unvarnish white violin is beautiful why you guys paint it in red?
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice carefull work from the pictures. The scroll would benefit from chamfer work on the scroll and pegbox, would make it look more finished. The purfling on the back's lower left edge seems obscured with something, or is that the lighting? Otherwise, looking very nice.

About the gaps around the purfling --- for future reference, you can fill this with a little plaster of paris, and disappears as you build up ground and varnish. Try first on a scrap piece left over from cutting out back/top, make a little gouge, fill it with plaster of paris, then go through your varnish procedure and see how it disappears.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MartinPTaylor

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Chandler wrote:
Nice carefull work from the pictures. The scroll would benefit from chamfer work on the scroll and pegbox, would make it look more finished. The purfling on the back's lower left edge seems obscured with something, or is that the lighting? Otherwise, looking very nice.

About the gaps around the purfling --- for future reference, you can fill this with a little plaster of paris, and disappears as you build up ground and varnish. Try first on a scrap piece left over from cutting out back/top, make a little gouge, fill it with plaster of paris, then go through your varnish procedure and see how it disappears.

Thanks Dave. Would be great to see an example f the chamfering you refer to. I am a visual learner I'm afraid. The purling being obscured on the back is the lighting I think. I had heard about the plaster of paris thing but didn't have the guts to try it! I will certainly keep this tip in mind for future reference. Hopefully, I will just get better at the cutting in next time.
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice makes better. Its like golf, you'll never be perfect, but you might score a sub par round someday.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below image is from Manfio's flikr account (hope he doesn't mind, because he's got a lot of his stuff posted here, including a nice visual tutorial on scroll making,)

You can see the chamfer going around the edge of the scroll, and along the back side of the pegbox. The slope on both sides of the chamfer, bot inside the scrolls interior and outer curve, ends at the edge of the chamfer. No flat areas in between.

If you have a chamfer edge, its not noticeable, so something to think about. AND since you don't have a color coat on the violin, you can still go back and rework parts you might have overlooked......or not. All inall, its a nice first attempt, better than my first for sure.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: