Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rib bending for a violin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Introduction, Rules and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg M

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Rib bending for a violin Reply with quote

I everybody, this is my 1st violin build and I am having a problem with the ribs which keep breaking , I have wasted 5 strips of soft curly maple. I had success bending regular maple that I shaved down to around 1.5 mm.
With the curly soft maple I let them soak for 10-12 minutes and applied soft pressure on my iron with a bending strap I bought from a supplier. I did not buy the bending irons for $175. Mine is ceramic 1" diameter that can go to 400 F. and I have it mounted in brace and clamped to my bench. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong. Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Introduction, Rules and Suggestions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: