Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

edge glue application

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg M

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: edge glue application Reply with quote

Hi I read in a couple of blogs that prior to cutting the purfling channel , it is a good idea to apply hide glue to the side of the violin and the outer side of the purfling channel to prevent splintering . I thought that dried hide glue would not allow the stain to penetrate.
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do occasionally get a spliter break off between the channel and edge usually at the bottom near the saddle area, sometimes the little inside corner wedge where the purfling meets in the corners, usually the spruce. I superglue it back in and keep going. I don't think spreading glue around the edges will make a difference, but hey, I've not considered doing that. I don't consider it an issue unless you're rough with your tools. Usually happens when I'm tired or in a hurry.

By the way, superglue works much better if you dampen the surfaces to be glued. In this case, I just dampen it with my tongue --- before putting the super glue on!! I don't advise doing this the other way around.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Greg M

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: super glue edges Reply with quote

Thanks for that bit of information . this site is great for getting helpful information. I have bought the wood and am going to build a jig for my router to cut the purfling groove , if that is too powerful , I will build a jig and buy the dremel 3000 which probably has less amps. Lee valley sells the bits .060 and .040 " with the 1/4" shank. I have even experimented with drilling a 1/16" hole all around with a dowel as the guide pin , then cut the rest out by hand, this option at least gets the desired depth of cut all around.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread on cutting purfling channel... Cheers, mat
https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/339246-purfling-cutter-rig/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: