Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

glueing back plate to ribs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg M

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: glueing back plate to ribs Reply with quote

When I was carving the inside of my back plate , I realized that the surface where the neck end block and the c bout block area meet the plate that I removed about 2 mm. away which I should have left as glueing surface. Should I repair the back plate before or after I have joined the ribs to the back plate . I was thinking of plastic wood then carve away the excess plastic wood and sand it flush. Anyone had similar problems . THanks.
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy....

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you're only talking about a few spots? How about gluing some maple shavings down into the area, then re-level.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DonLeister

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean 2mm of the thickness of the plate or 2mmm into the glueing area adjacent to the hollowing of the back?
Greg M

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean 2 mm on the glueing surface adjacent to the hollowing 0f back plate
DonLeister

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would glue a piece of maple to the area, say 3mm thick and oversized, using woodworkers glue and then thin it back to what you need there. Taper it into the hollowing of the graduations of the back.
The idea with the woodworkers glue is so that it holds well if the back ever gets taken off and won't release like hide glue.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm voting for gluing a piece of maple with matching grain lines and when done ... no one will know the difference. With plastic wood you need to know the strength of the plastic and its expansion rates in humidity change....it could separate and fall out later.... even if it holds, the next person working on the instrument in a couple of hundred years will look at it and say "what the **!.... who did this?!"
Good luck!... Mat
Greg M

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a 3mm piece of maple and fit it in snug . I ended up using contact cement , because my c clamp kept moving the small piece of wood around with wood glue because of the graduation and no flat surface on the top side of the plate . It seems pretty solid so I can blend it in now easily Thanks again guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: