Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Build (amateur), based on Plowden poster
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick M

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for encouraging words guys!

A couple people suggested that the stains would kind of disappear in the varnishing process, and they absolutely have. They are visible but not "in your face" at all.

Sound clip - once it settles a little more I'm going to put it in the hands of someone who can really play and see if I can get a recording.
ollieken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: rick Reply with quote

Rick You made a very nice violin I like the finish bet it will
great as well . Ken
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SioFong Tong

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your varnishing is better than what I did on my first 5-10violins!
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice.

I've accumulated a bunch of odd violin tops (someone sold me a suitcase full of old tops) to practice different varnish affects. I've settled for two different approaches. The first is thin applications with fingertips, maybe twice a day (very thin) till I get the color I want. Time consuming, but I'm always pleased, no orange peel, no clumping, no dust particles.

Second, is to use the heavy oil colors (I use Old Wood for their clarity) mixed 50/50 with clear varnish, maybe two coats put on by fingertips. Anything left over, I do a little shading around corners and where fingerboard and chinrest will to go give it a little character.

Clumping and orange peel can be a result of a number of things, by my first suspicion would be not letting the sealers and grounds sufficiently dry and harden. Also, you have to have the right thinner for the varnish, they don't always mix, so I order the thinner by the same manufacturer, usually very cheap compared to the varnish.

Dust is something you have to have some control over, and some rules, such as no sanding in the same room where you varnish. Even using a vacuum cleaner in your shop stirs up a lot of dust from the exhaust blowing all over the place, so I put the shop vac outside the door, and still air has to come into the shop from somewhere else. A filter such as a room air filter helps.

Since I use a dehumidifier almost all the time in my shop, I tape filters over the air vents. I've gone to setting up a seperate area for varnishing, sealed completely, and even keep brushes etc in plastic bags to keep them from picking up dust. Not so much a problem now that I use such thin coats, and hang them out in the sun till surface no longer tacky then in a drying booth away from the shop proper.

Bugs you leave alone till the varnish is completely dry, then they knock right off. A little tripoli and there's no evidence (although their feet might still be in the varnish, but you'd not know it.) Try to rub them off when the varnish is soft, and bug juice disolves into the varnish and makes a smudge.

But its all fun!

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: