Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bent neck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject: bent neck Reply with quote

So I am repairing a fairly standard "Conservatory" violin with a split. Included is a fingerboard replacement.
The finger board had been glued with what appears to have been carpenters glue but that has been cleaned off.
Now the problem.. the neck had a low projection and now I can see that the neck is in fact bent with a hollow (lengthwise) on the fb side.
Its easy to straighten with a clamp... but what is the best way to keep it that way? The amount of clamp pressure to straighten it suggests that the new FB will not pull it straight.
Thanks for your advice! ... Mat
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually the fingerboard is stiff enough that it will, in fact, hold the neck straight. But, if the neck is really, stubbornly bent forward, couldn't you clamp it with a positive camber for a few days, and see if it will take a set the other direction?

If it were a bass or a cello, I would recommend a stiffener of carbon fiber, but I have never done that in a violin. Never needed to do so. No reason you couldn't, though, I suppose.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chet... I have it on clamps now and I think I will also apply some heat and let it set for a couple of days & see how it is. I guess the fb will pull it to some degree and whatever remains, I should be able to make up any difference in the final finishing of the fb.
Cheers, Mat
L P Reedy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have straightened several necks by heating and clamping straight (or even bowed slightly the other way) until thoroughly cool. Be aware that it takes a while to heat all the way through without overheating. Also takes a while to cool. I would not rely on just clamping straight to work. It might take many years.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came out nice... I clamped with a thin 2mm cleat at the nut area. Stayed pretty straight, and quickly glued on the fb. With the fb glued on... looks like it will stay.
Cheers... Mat
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done!
Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: