Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Violin Silicone Mold For Carving

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Triton

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Violin Silicone Mold For Carving Reply with quote

I have a jig to hollow out the inside of the violin pates but it seems to stress and bend the wood once I get down to planes andscrapers. I saw a picture of a blue silicone mold about 2 inches thick that the plate was placed on that supported the wood a little better. Is this a diy piece or is it purchased somewhere?
Thanks for any help!
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen such a thing, but if you wanted to depend on it to support the plate, I think you would need to make a new one for every plate, to match perfectly.

When I want support from underneath, I work on a folded bath towel.
Triton

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a youtube video of what I was talking about, it doesn't say much about it in the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zWiGVyvNfo
L P Reedy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched a couple of minutes of the video. He makes it very clear that you make the mold after you complete the outside arching. For all that it does, if you don't wildly vary the arching you can probably reuse the mold. However, in 28 years of making I have never felt the need for anything like that. As Michael said, if you are desperate, use a folded bath towel.
H.R.Fisher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to do the arching complete first Than use my cradle which is a tad deeper than is required for the arching. I than put a piece of plastic saran wrap in the bottom,than mix about a cup of plaster paris,pour it into the cradle,put another piece of plastic wrap on top than press the arched top down into it,put some weight on top and wait about half an hour. This makes a perfect and secure support to hollow out the inside. When finished just turn it over,tap it a few times and it falls out. Work very well for me.
Rick M

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that video when I first started doing repairs and had a notion to make one. I couldn’t find the materials at a reasonable cost so started searching for other solutions.

This is very much a work in progress (many adjustments and many versions of hold-downs. Basically a couple of layers of plywood. The middle is hollowed/arched, then all covered with cork. If I have a plate that feels like it needs some support I just add a little rag or another piece of cork for support. I use this for both inner and outer arching. The holes are just for bench dogs.

catnip

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using one of these flexible RTV silicone molds (cradle) for carving plates for years and would never go back to my original wooden cradle for many reasons. Mainly it is very convenient, portable and works from any position and does not require to be locked down or clamped because the silicone adheres to any surface quite well. You can get the RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanization) silicone rubber from a sculptor supply house and it comes in varying degrees of 'hardness' from quite stiff to almost foam rubber. I have one for the top (higher arch) and one for the bottom (lower arch) but because it is very flexible it doesn't matter which I use.

Note: these are not used for sound post patches
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: