Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Violin woods - making entire piece from douglas fur?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phillipdanbury

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Violin woods - making entire piece from douglas fur? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am beginning my first violin build. I received a lovely piece of douglas fur from a friend. It was trapped in their attic for about 80 years since the building of their house. I'd like to use it for the entire violin (excepting the sparse use of ebony where necessary). Is there anything terribly wrong with this? I understand that the neck will wear more when made from fur. Any other concerns?

Thank you,

Phillip
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Douglas Fir Fiddle Reply with quote

You are about to embark upon a project that will be fun, but frustrating, challenging, but rewarding, regardless of what wood you choose to use.

The woods traditionally employed for violin-family instruments were not chosen randomly, nor were they simply the product of a dull, unimaginative group of minds, just doing the same thing for centuries. They were settled upon because they work well...superior to any other choice, in most people's opinions, and applied to most circumstances. (Would fiberglass work better in a dripping-wet-with-humidity environment? Probably so...but that is an exceptionally harsh place for instruments.)

There was a professional maker (Otto Erdesz), years ago, who made a number of violas with Douglas fir top plates... they worked well.

Douglas Fir will work for virtually anything, but it has its drawbacks: it is much heavier than spruce, splits more easily in many cases, and simply behaves much differently under the knife. But it will work. Here's the catch:

You are about to spend 200+ hours on your first violin. When you are done, the difference in sound between all Douglas fir and a more traditional maple/spruce structure may be quite noticeable. You will not know for certain whether the odd sound is due to the wood, or the simple fact that a beginner just made his first violin.

200 hours (or possibly much more) is a lot to invest on any project, in my opinion. Doesn't it make sense to hedge your investment by at least using woods that you know are well-suited? I have seen/heard a balsa-wood violin, and it was remarkably good, but it was an experiment, only, and no one was trying to suggest that it was a good idea...it was just to experiment with extremes.

It is entirely your call, though.
phillipdanbury

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chet,

Thanks for your candid reply. Where can I buy hardwoods suitable for violin building?

Thanks,
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: violin wood Reply with quote

I bought the wood for my first instrument, a small viola, from a local hardwood store. If you go to the "chronology" page on my website, and scroll to the very bottom, you can see that instrument. I spent about $60 total, building that instrument.

If you go online and look up International Violin Co. (Baltimore, Maryland), they have kits of tonewood, already sorted and selected, in a variety of price-ranges. They also have literally everything you could possibly need for completing the instrument. as well as books. etc.

If you will accept a small bit of advice, I always recommend that a new maker buy a copy of "Violin Making, Step-by-Step" by Henry Strobel. It is not necessarily the very best book, but it is very practical and straight-forward, costs right about $30, and, best of all, has a workable pattern included, which, being adhered to, will allow for a very respectable first attempt.

"The Art of Violin Making" by Johnson and Courtnall, is far more attractive, filled with beautiful color photos, and good instruction, but it has no pattern, and it costs a lot more.

Get the Strobel book, and a kit of wood from IVC, and gather the needed tools (second-hand stores and estate sales are excellent sources), and then proceed. If you get stuck, there is no shortage of help available here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: