Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New book on French Bow Makers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: New book on French Bow Makers Reply with quote

In case you've not already seen the announcement of this new publication, I'd like to recommend it.

French Bow Makers, by Anton Lu. English and Chinese, 320 pages. "A Concise Guide" to 106 French makers, with color photos of at least one bow by each, typically showing five or six images of each bow. The appendix contains an intriguing "Star Guide" to French bows, attempting to summarize bow attributes, including market price, craftsmanship & playability, historical importance, and investment potential. He gives top marks to 15 makers, but only F.X. Tourte earns five stars. A fine book, and an excellent value. From Taiwan.
Nipi2

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems wonderful and it is not expensive for a colour printed book. Thank you for the recommendation. Also, if I am not wrong, Anton Lu's book has "academic quality" material (as I can realize from the preview images of the book).
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what standard was used in publishing, but it looks good to me.
Here's a 1200dpi scan of a Tourte button from p. 280. On the page, this part of the image is about 19mm wide. Some of the noise is doubtless a result of the scanning process, so this may not be an accurate indicator of print quality.
Nick Walker

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's definitely on my to buy list.

Can you tell me, are there measurements in the appendix like in Chris Brown's bass now book?

Thanks. Hope you're well.
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick!

No, there are no dimensions. So few books have any, I can’t really say I’m disappointed. It’s more like an affordable Les Archets than one of the books about making. One page offers a unique insight—the profile of the neck, just behind the head, by maker. Zumberge’s book probably has the most thorough collection of dimensions, but there are a few drawings around with measurements. I’ve heard of Brown’s book, but haven’t seen it. Is it helpful?

Bob
Nick Walker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown's book is very informative. There is an appendix with numerous measurements. When I'm back in town I'll send you some info.

Of course, it is bass bow specific.

Nick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: