Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Book request

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lazar74

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Book request Reply with quote

Hello dear members of this forum. I am trying to make my first violin bow. I saw the wonderful bow making resources. I was trying to find a book close to french method and I realized that the only one is the Bolander s book Violin bow making. I found it on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Violin-Bow-Making-by-John-Alfred-Bolander-1981/273350653167?hash=item3fa4f7f4ef:g:5-QAAOSwrU1bGupw but it costs around 500$. In my country Serbia I am working for 300$ per month. I tried online libraries but I could not find it nowhere. Can anyone help me to find it somewhere in lower price or borrow it? I would be thankful by all my heart.
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might not be the best way to start making a bow, and $500 seems high. I think I got my copy for around $50 at the same auction site. An excellent book that might still be available is John Stagg's Bow Making and Repair. But I think it's pretty difficult to make progress without a teacher.
lazar74

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatwasithinking wrote:
That might not be the best way to start making a bow, and $500 seems high. I think I got my copy for around $50 at the same auction site. An excellent book that might still be available is John Stagg's Bow Making and Repair. But I think it's pretty difficult to make progress without a teacher.

Thank you for your response. A friend luthier described me some things and I have partially made some sticks but never made a total one (frog, screw etc). I also have seen the Stagg s book, but it is very "English" his method. I also do not have many tools as he describes. You are absolutely right about the teacher and that s why I go to that luthier. He is not bow maker but knows some things. Bolander s book would be helpful for me in order to see the approach. There are no copies at all as I searched and I agree that 500$ is too high.

Thank you
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find some interesting info here....
https://archive.org
you will need to sign up& do a lot of searching:)
Good luck... Mat
Nipi2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another site with very nice informations https://maestronet.com

Last edited by Nipi2 on Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
lazar74

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat and Nipi2 thank you for your responses. Really interesting resources and books.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: