Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Practice motivation, intonation, keeping fingers in "fo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidFord

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Practice motivation, intonation, keeping fingers in "fo Reply with quote

Yeah, that's a catch-all title.

I'm 65, started fooling with violin 15 years ago, then put it down when my band started getting higher level gigs than what my fiddle playing would warrant (I'm vocalist and accordion player and band leader).

Just getting back to it, taking Suzuki lessons.

I practice about every night during the week as I have nothing else to do (work in another city from where I live and rent a room there, and take lessons there). On weekends, and Friday nights when I drive back, I have a hard time motivating myself to practice. I do it, but it is like moving large rocks to get to the point to do it.

What are some motivation tactics to make me more active in this manner? Mostly I want to rest/sleep on the weekend. I do practice, but do other things to avoid it, like drive to go get new strings, look at videos of violin building, search websites pricing tools to build a violin, etc. I know I don't really have the patience to build one, but......just avoiding doing the work and avoiding putting up with the frustration. I do find that in the evening, when I've rested somewhat, my mind perks up and I start practicing, but not for long periods at a time. 15 minutes or so, then put it down, then come back to it a while later.

Intonation - I'm certainly better than when I started, but would like some pointers on intonation. I can hear the ring on notes if I go slowly. It's harder on the 1 finger, and just starting to bring the 4 finger in. I'm just beginning to try to "hold" my fingers in the same pattern above the strings no matter what string I"m on, but I"m finding that my 1 finger always wants to come up, i.e. it's a stretch to hold it back to where it needs to be, and the stretch relaxes too easily when I'm concentrating on other things. Pointers? I've read about singing the melody, which is something I could do in the car while traveling back and forth to work, or commuting home on the weekend. Doing it at home when I've got so many things to distract me, it just doesn't get done. I feel like I should be practicing violin or resting.

Ok, enough blather out of me. I'm probably writing this to avoid practicing!!!

Shocked
DavidFord

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking part of the problem with the 1 finger wanting to slide forward is that my teacher is telling me that my thumb needs to be right opposite my 1 finger on the neck. At the same time, she's saying the the SIDE of my thumb should be on the neck. This is not a natural holding place for me, and if my hand relaxes, the 1 finger comes forward.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:13 am    Post subject: intonation Reply with quote

You have been neglected with no help being offered . The fingers must find their place first and the thumb should be placed where it feels comfortable. The thumb is less important . All sorts of famous players do different things with their thumbs . Watch videos and you will see lots of thumbs sticking up which teachers would criticise . Be comfortable and get the notes in tune . Be kind to your thumb .
Henrik Stromberg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked my friends from https://musescore.com/community and I agee with them that it is all about mood. Creating music, playing music (including singing) are all about mood of musicians. You can spend 10 months in studio and not making anything because you don't feel yourself good in the way of habbit and can make full album in 2 weeks because you have good mood.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Practice Reply with quote

Here`s a practical tip for intonation .Try to avoid playing open strings . A fingered note can be quickly adjusted if you miss the exact spot. An open string will declare the notes before and after it that you are out of tune. In tune is always relative .Many famous players can be out of tune technically but you won`t know unless you have scientific equipment switched on at that moment. Some times popular light pieces can begin with a flat note sliding up to the real beginning note .Not all violin music is deadly serious . Expression involves alterations to the notes as you play . In the famous Menuhin Elgar Concerto recording you can hear some out of tune notes but it`s not important .The overall music is glorious .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: