Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacing neck vs rebushing peg holes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidFord

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Replacing neck vs rebushing peg holes Reply with quote

I have an old beater fiddle that someone put mechanical tuners in, likely because the peg holes had gotten quite large. I have other fiddles I use for playing, but I'm thinking of a repair job.

I've done no violin building or repair yet, other than fooling around a little bit with the sound post. I have done some woodworking, mostly with power tools.

I'm wondering which route (replacing the neck vs rebushing the peg holes) will be better, in terms of:

1) expense of purchasing needed tools
2) overall complexity
3) likelihood of ending up with an unusable instrument in the end.

I'm assuming either way I need to buy a peg hole reamer and a peg shaper. I see StewMac has those, but cost together is $150 or more. I see a cheaper peg hole reamer on Amazon for about $15-25, but don't know the caveats around that.

I'm sort of answering my own question as I write, i.e. just rebush the peg holes, but, I'm open to input.

OR

Might I be better off just buying a violin kit and starting from there, perhaps one of the cheaper ones from Amazon, just in case I screw it up, as opposed to the $217 one on StewMac. Just to satisfy my desire to build something.
Rick M

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of guys here with more experience than me, but my two cents.

It’s not even a close call. Bushing will be far easier than replacing the neck.

For both approaches you will still need a reamer, and for best results a peg shaper.

Search the posts here, and check you tube, there’s lots of good info out there to give you an idea of what’s required. And, if the bushing fails you can still attempt the neck replacement.
ollieken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Bushings Reply with quote

Hi David do a search here for Mat Roop peg bushings he has done them
& did a good job he posted pic`s here You could P M him I don't think he will be too cranky as he has not been done east to get into the stuff made by the lite of the moon at the running brook .. . Ken
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
L P Reedy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One concern: Be sure the reamer you get is bigger than the largest peg hole. It probably will be, but you do have to ream the existing holes to accept bushings. Then you will need at least two sizes of shavers, one for the bushings (assuming solid, not spiral, bushings) and another for the pegs. Shavers are pretty easy to make, once you have the reamer. A block of hard wood and a plane blade will do it. I have never bought one but have a couple like the Stew-Macs. Haven't found much use for them because they are too touchy to set up. Instead, I have a couple dozen or more home mades of various sizes and tapers, plus four or five variable size/taper. I think I bought one commercial blade but made all the rest and have virtually no investment except time. And my time is worthless these days.

AND I think I am pretty picky about peg fit.
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a repair project... just keep asking specific questions... there will be lots of good advice.
Here is a thread on bushings needed due to a peg box crack, but the creation of bushings is still the same.
https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/332858-pegbox-crack-repair/

this will be a very rewarding project for you.. lots to learn and depending on the value of the instrument you might even consider cheek patches for the peg box outer walls to hide the screw holes and other blemishes that might exist. I did one some time ago & turned out quite nice... for my taste anyway... I'll try to post some pics later.

Ken's advice on using the stuff made by the "light of the moon" is really good because it will hide all of your mistakes from your field of vision:)
Cheers, Mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: