Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi! I'm a beginner desperately needing help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grace

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Hi! I'm a beginner desperately needing help! Reply with quote

I started out when my parents bought me a violin on my 18th birthday. Before that, I've researched everything about violins and I also happen to love this pop Celtic/rock band The Corrs who have fans who happen to be generous enough to post the band's music sheets and guitar/violin tabs online. So before I even got to touch a real violin, I already knew how the violin is played (in my mind anyway) and I would play air-violin by fingering the band's pieces.

So when I got my violin, I got to teach myself with the help of concert videos even if I do not even have close encounters with live violin players.

That began on March 2007. It wasn't until August that I was able to enroll in the only music school in our place. The good thing about it was that my teacher was a conservatory graduate. The bad thing was that he wasn't a good teacher. He just let me play without even correcting my posture and bowhold. Anyway, at least I was learning with some sort of support other than myself.

That support however was cut off when the teacher left after only four lessons and the one who replaced him is another beginner who was even worse than me! (The only thing that qualified him I guess is that he's the studio's oldest student)

So now, I'm trying to move up by myself but the situation is worse off than you think. I've tried looking for violin books everywhere in my area but they just don't exist here! I could have bought some online but without internet connection at home and without a bank account, it's impossible. My only resources now are printed internet articles & pieces, concert videos and my interest.

Now, everyone who have seen me play kept saying that I am good at it and I should keep it on.

Anyone who could help me?
Becky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this site the sort of thing you're looking for? http://violinmasterclass.com/mc_menu.php

This site has free sheet music you can print: http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/index.cfm

It's too bad there's not more that's available in your area. You seem too determined to let that stop you though Smile Best of luck to you!
grace

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Thanks Becky! yeah,I'm currently depending too much on hopes Reply with quote

And now I'm hoping to be a classical violinist despite everything.. In addition to the fact that I'm too old to be a prodigy! Laughing
Shirley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grace, I sure admire your determination! Too old to be a child prodigy, perhaps, but not too old to be an excellent player, especially with your attitude. Good local orchestras abound; many "amature" orchestras are excellent, and there are quartets and other chamber music groups to play with. (Not to mention pops groups that might interest you.) You can have a wonderful, fun lifetime of playing.

The Masterclass web site that Becky suggested is really good. Much luck - you deserve it!

Shirley
Shirley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, Grace - no internet connection at home? Perhaps you could still look at some videos at work, or wherever you do have access.

Another wonderful "teacher" is "ProfessorV" on youtube - he is well worth finding and listening to.

Continued wishes for good luck! Shirley
ollieken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: learn to play Reply with quote

Here is a link that you can look around may be of some help
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sMWhzpPK2I&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJmIra-c8cc

Ask around there may be a groupe of beginners that you can join & play with if you heve it in your head to learn nothing is going to stop you
dont give up no one learned it in a week or two Good luck & keep us posted

Ken
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
grace

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! There aren't even amateur groups here! It's that pathetic, I know..

As of now, I can play some Celtic airs like Danny Boy and most of The Corrs' songs.. (Here's a link to their music sheets by the way: http://www.disfrutaloscorrs.com/partituras/piano/
http://www.disfrutaloscorrs.com/partituras/whistle-violin/)

I can also (haltingly) play Gosssec's Gavotte now..

I'll let you know when I've improved some more! Who knows if I could record myself for you!
Shirley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Grace - good work! Keep it up! And we'd LOVE to hear a recording!

Shirley
sakura_dubai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grace !! we have something in coomon. I just bought a violin three days ago. My parents don't know yet, because i can't tell them, they might take it away from me.. they think i should only focus on my study (and i'm an A student), so i guess ppl can understand why my family keep pushing me...

but i play piano and started to learn guitar three months ago (all in my university not at home), but when i was shopping i saw a violin shop and i bought one 'japanese one'. of course, i can't play freely at home but i still manage to play when my parents leave k k k~ sounds weird..

I couldn't buy books because i spend all my money on buying the violin Rolling Eyes so i need to wait another month or two.. k k k ~ Rolling Eyes

Now, I'm learning by myself through online videos and lessons.. but i don't know if what i play is correct... it sounds bad to me.. i know i need to practice more and more and that's what i'm doing !!

I know two teachers in my univeristy who play violin, but because i'm now on a month vacation (between semesters) I want to learn something and then i will ask those two teachers..

There are many good websites posted here and I'm so glad to find them. i was looking for something good the past two days but i found few..

expert village is a website that i found really useful, you can try this out ^^
Shirley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sakuro ~ You have a complicated situation, don't you? Your parents obviously want what is best for you, and you are lucky there! Perhaps if you could accumulate some data (it's all over the place)which show how students who study music get better grades, are well rounded and happy, and generally make the most of their lives.

Of course you are going to sound awful to yourself when first starting the violin, with no personal instruction. It would be sooooo much better if you had your parents' cooperation, but only you know how to work that out.

The very best of luck to you, dear.

Shirley
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: