Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baroque bow resources

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nipi2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Baroque bow resources Reply with quote

Hello. I am interested making a baroque violin bow. At past i copied one with success. But now I am searching for plans or any manual (that maybe does not exist).

What can I use as reference?

My best wishes to everyone.
whatwasithinking

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were two articles in Strad about Baroque bow making, mentioned in the lists of resources. You might find those to be helpful.
Nipi2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatwasithinking wrote:
There were two articles in Strad about Baroque bow making, mentioned in the lists of resources. You might find those to be helpful.

Thank you a lot for your response. I have both these article plus articles from Early Music magazine. I am more on searching drawings (plans) of them.
Andres Sender

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am late to the party, but FWIW:

The only published early bow drawings I recall are: the ones in the Kunsthistorisches catalog (“Streichbogen. Katalog: Sammlung alter Musikinstrumente und Sammlungen der Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde in Wien” which is apparently still available from the museum); a fairly recent drawing of a 17th c. viola bow at the National Music Museum; and the Salzburg bows, some measurements for which are found in a German journal article that was published about them (Kurt Birsak “Zwei barocke Streichbogen im Salzburger Museum Carolino Augusteum” Musicologica Austriaca 1, Salzburg 1977). There may by now be a few others available at some museum or another (see the CIMCIM list).

Most bow drawings are done by makers for their own use based on study of originals.

The above are the only ways I know of to get hold of stick measurements for historical bows. If you like putting things together in bits and pieces, here are some additional resources:

The Musee de la Musique in Paris has a tremendous online archive of photos of old bows (mostly mid-18th century iirc), many of which also include rulers for scaling (working from photos is of course fraught with peril due to the surprising and often counterintuitive vagaries of perspective and lens distortion).

Tarisio has accessible photos from the exhibition “L’Archet Revolutionnaire” on their site, just the heads and frogs though. The exhibition catalog is a treasure trove of such pictures, although sadly lacking in measurements. Mainly these are after 1740, although many of them show how late the interest in low heads lasted.

Photos of original bows are randomly dotted about the landscape otherwise. Sounds like you have the Seletsky articles. There are surprisingly nice ink drawings of the heads and 3/4 view of the frogs of the two Seletsky bows (thumbnailed in his articles) in “The Bow, Its History, Manufacture & Use” By Henry Saint-George.

Good luck in your quest!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Bow Making Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: