Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My First Fiddle build
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick M

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other good resource is http://www.makingtheviolin.com lots of good information and guidance. Printable templates too.

If you’re trying economize on tools, I made a simple depth guide. It’s discussed in the website above, but several other makers reference this type of guide. Just set your target thickness between the post and pin. Shave away until the pin marks are gone

kjb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good, how is the pin adjusted?
Fiddleford

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the useful information and links, I'll go over them as soon as I have time.

It seems the spike is adjusted by the wingnut on the spike meaning its probably threaded near the top or its a sharpened bolt with the threading at the top left untouched

Rick M wrote:
The other good resource is http://www.makingtheviolin.com lots of good information and guidance. Printable templates too]

I was lead there by a YouTuber named Jon Magnum he put up that information site in the description of one of his videos which then lead me here
Rick M

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There’s an insert in the arm just epoxied in. The wing nut locks it in place. I just used a 1/4-20 bolt and ground a pin. A thin piece of leather (or cork) on the wooden dowel.

There is another violin making series on you-tube that is worth a look. It doesn’t show up very well on searches and no new videos for years, but for just really basic process, they’re pretty good. The channel is named stardivarius bill, this link is for the first video.

https://youtu.be/5ZVIDZFEIqk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: