Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Short recording

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pentaholic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Short recording Reply with quote

Hi,

I am new(obviously) to this forum and quite happy with having found it. So first off I would like to say hi to everyone.

I am also quite new to the violin. After years of being intrigued by the instrument I finally decided to take the step and commit to the violin.

As I am new to it(I have been playing for slightly more than two weeks) I am really unsure about what to look for in an instrument. I have rented my violin from a local reputable music shop who specialize mainly in the violin family of instruments.

I have attached two audio clips as I would like some input from some of you more seasoned players(which likely includes all of you ). I am not sure what exactly a good violin should sound like so perhaps someone here can offer some insight.

This particular outfit "Staccato" I can purchase for about $575(violin, bow, and case) Also, the customer service of this establishment is second to none...

I have been learning to play with a book entitled "Fiddling Method" by Craig Duncan. I have been considering getting a teacher just for a few lessons to ensure I don't start with bad habits. However, for the time being I have been entertaining myself by just messing around learning scales and some simple fiddle tunes.

Well without further adieu here are a couple sound clips to give an idea of what my violin sounds like(I'm sure some of you here could make it sound much better). I have linked to two tracks. The first has just a touch of reverb on the violin(Violin Practice....file on the right)). The second has an absolutely insane amount of delay and reverb(Violin Practice2......on the left))....just for fun . Please go easy on me, like I said before I've only been playing about 2 weeks

I'll also except any playing tips anyone might be willing to offer.

I'm not sure how well this link will work If anyone has suggestions as to a better site for file sharing I'm open to suggestions

http://public.box.net/tburk16796
Shirley

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentaholic - I could not access your recordings; it seems I must "subscribe"? I would like to hear them, though, and I have no idea how otherwise to post such a thing. Others here should know.

You do sound enthusiastic, and if fiddling is your goal, a few lessons would sure help to get you started, and then, I understand, hanging out with fiddling groups any time you can is one of the best ways to learn.

Keep in touch!

Shirley
Pentaholic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou Shirley for informing me of that. I was actually concerned that might happen.

I have tried another host so give these links a try...

Again one is normal and the other is soaked in delay/reverb....

violin practice.mp3 - 0.73MB

violin practice2.mp3 - 0.69MB

Shirley, if you wouldn't mind letting me know if they work.....thanks

Trevor
Jack Rushing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentaholic. Your playing sounds good to me. It would have taken me about
twice that long. Your violin sounds o.k. too. Keep at it.!!! And, good luck to you.
Pentaholic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pentaholic. Your playing sounds good to me. It would have taken me about
twice that long. Your violin sounds o.k. too. Keep at it.!!! And, good luck to you.

Thank you for the kind words and the encouragement. For years I have been captivated by this instrument. Finally, this Christmas I found myself on stage with a violinist. We did a couple things together. On one song he was doubling me as I played electric guitar(Carol of the Bells....a heavy, almost death metal type christmas instrumental). On another song I accompanied him on acoustic guitar(fingerstyle) to a soft melodic version of Away in a Manger. I was so intrigued by the beauty of the violin I was left with no option but to finally start playing. Also, my youngest son has asked to play so I have rented him a violin as well. He should be starting lessons in the next month or so...

I am very excited. There is something about the simplicity and the history of this instrument that makes it almost mysterious to me. It just feels so perfect in my hands. This may sound cheesy but it really just feels right. Even the logic of the design....being tuned to perfect fifths.....just seems to make sense. Notes seem to be where they feel they should be on the fingerboard...

I think I've found a new love Very Happy

My dream is to be able to bring my playing to a level that by Christmas of '09 I can play on stage. That's basically two years. It may seem like my expectations are too high......I just find it helpful to set goals for myself. It seems to sort of drive me....
Shirley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentaholic - WOW! The site address worked great this time, and I am really impressed! You are a real musician, and you should be ready for the stage WAY before Christmas of '09. You must be correct in that the violin just feel right to tyou.

And good luck to your son, too - that is so nifty. Both of you will have so much fun! Please keep us up to date.

Shirley
Pentaholic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much Shirley for your kind words of encouragement Very Happy . It's nice to get some feedback.

I am excited, I just got home from work to find "Violin for Dummies" had arrived from Amazon.com. I must go check it out now Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: