Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

long fast trills

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Cadd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: long fast trills Reply with quote

Please all chip in with tips about trills .How do you improve trills?What problems do you have? Do they demoralise you?My right hand can do short very fast trills and my left is very jealous.I don`t want to swop sides.
techfiddle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two Ševčík books you may find helpful:

Preparatory Trill Studies, Op. 7 - Bk. 1:
http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/a/item.html?id=186635&item=3145187

Bk. 2:
http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/a/item.html?id=186635&item=7480736
http://beststudentviolins.com/Home.html
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: fast trills Reply with quote

Thankyou kindly for the help.I sometimes wonder if my brain does not register a trill as one thing.As if I have to learn each one as a if it was a new piece.I get silly ideas sometimes.
Highlander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: trills Reply with quote

Hi amezcua
do you still have a problem with trills. If you do, the easiest way to train your left fingers is to tap on the table with your fingers in succession in time to a metronome, starting slowly and gradually increasing the tempo each day. Start easy and in the middle of the session push yourself slightly then finish with taking it easy. Try to get an even beat between the first and last finger you hit the table with. and different patterns help as well eg. 1,3,2,4, 1432 etc. about half an hour a day.
hope this helps.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Highlander I forgot to check this topic for a while.This is like telephone messages from Mars.That sounds a good practical idea.I often wonder if there is a psychological block with trills as much as a physical one.
Highlander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no worries. glad I could help. Playing guitar for years does have advantages when it comes to other stringed instruments.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Long Fast Trills Reply with quote

Only 12 years late to add something useful . If you listen to a Joseph Hassid recording he had a very rapid trill which would be hard to replicate with finger movement . My theory is he used the fast vibrato movement and kept the fingers locked in position . It works best for semitone trills . that may depend more on my hand size . Talking about some of his recordings he mentioned the word "faking ". Would the vibrato trill be called that ?
Otherwise ; what is faking ?
John Cadd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: fast trills Reply with quote

In Achron`s Hebrew Melody , In a youtube video Dimitri Olevsky does a vibrato trill at about 5.15 with his third finger (reaching up the fingerboard ). That`s fairly unmistakeable . He is lucky to have such long slender fingers and does rapid trills everywhere else as normal .
Also Guy Braunstein at 4.14 or near there . He only does the vibrato trill a few times and mixes it up with normal trills .
Also Francesca Dego near 4.14 (aproximatly ) does more vibrato trills than the other two . A specially good example for you to learn .
Vibrato Trill ; A rare and elusive bird .
Oleg Vostyakov

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: long fast trills Reply with quote

John Cadd wrote:
Please all chip in with tips about trills .How do you improve trills?What problems do you have? Do they demoralise you?My right hand can do short very fast trills and my left is very jealous.I don`t want to swop sides.

You can find good examples for practicing here: https://musescore.com/sheetmusic?text=violin. There are a lot of sheet music with a lot of technics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: