Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Southern Violin Association meeting April 23-24

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Southern Violin Association meeting April 23-24 Reply with quote

We're putting on our annual meeting this year at the University of Georgia's School of Music at Athens Georgia on the weekend of April 23-24. Guest speakers currently lined up are Jerry Pasewicz (discussing bow rehair) and Pablo Alfaro (setup and bridge cutting). Chris Germain was scheduled to discuss his upcoming book on the American Violin, but just informed me he couldn't attend. I have room for, and need one more presenter. Maybe 2.

Last year, we held our meeting at Beauvinci Violins in Alpharetta, Georgia, and had 37 attendees, with standing room only, that's why we're moving it to ehe University of Georgia, and expanding it through Sunday morning for those interested in staying an extra half day for one-on-one with more experienced makers doing critiques on workmanship and tone as well.

We are a tax-exempt organization, we appreciate volunteers, but for the right person, we may be able to help a little with expenses getting to/from.

Any Ideas?

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, there always seems to be debate with respect to hide glue, the different types, dilution, strength, clarity, additives to extend open time, application methods etc etc... and a lot of opinions!
I recall a few years ago, Jay Utzig the resident expert from Milligan & Higgins had indicated he would be available as a guest speaker to luthiers....
You could also survey members here for questions they have & then have Jay include the answers in his presentation.
Just thinking with my mouth open!
Cheers, Mat
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Matt! Good idea. Long Haul from NJ though.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, "Ask nicely, and you just might get!" These folks involved with sales generally consider the cost of travel to conferences as cheap advertising....
Good luck... Mat
Alexander90

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I would like to bring this up and organize a meeting of musicians. Do you think everyone could meet on a certain day, for example, October 7th. I can say that a special and suitable number for meeting all musicians, the whole point is that recently I started reading the catalog of the designation of numbers at https://www.sunsigns.org/angel-number-111-meaning/ , it turns out that the 7th number is very suitable for such a meeting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: