Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bridge recommendations for a dull Fiddle?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
72bluebird

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Bridge recommendations for a dull Fiddle? Reply with quote

A dull fiddle... it needs to be played pretty close to the bridge, and tends towards brassy and muted, especially on the A. With the current setup, I have optimized the A, which now means the D needs to be coaxed to a full tone (not "easy"). G is flabby, and E is OK but thin.

I would like to improve the overall volume, and get a more even, brighter tone.

I have two blanks, one has a "drop tone" about a tone higher than the other.

Thin at the top is what I have in mind (~1.2mm), and not much change to heart or kidneys.

Thin at the bottom, or thick? Different authors say different things.

Narrow ankles, or not? I have heard narrowing the ankles lowers the tone of the bridge.

Michael Darnton says too thick in the middle/waist = nasal

Hutchins says large kidney and heart dulls a shrill tone.

Reichers says a small heart = harder tone.

Thoughts on crotch arches?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: bridge for dull fiddles Reply with quote

Not exactly on topic but this refers to dull fiddle sounds. In Violinist.com there is a long survey of violin strings from gut strings to modern . Jean Dubuison is the writer . For example he mentions loud strings and others agree that Zyex strings are loud or louder . There is a variety of string influences that may combine better with your bridge.
Is the drop tone phrase about dropping a bridge on a hard surface? I discovered that myself by accident but there may be something new . Luthiers probably knew all about that ages ago .
Henrik Stromberg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bridge recommendations for a dull Fiddle? Reply with quote

72bluebird wrote:
A dull fiddle... it needs to be played pretty close to the bridge, and tends towards brassy and muted, especially on the A. With the current setup, I have optimized the A, which now means the D needs to be coaxed to a full tone (not "easy"). G is flabby, and E is OK but thin.

I would like to improve the overall volume, and get a more even, brighter tone.

I have two blanks, one has a "drop tone" about a tone higher than the other.

Thin at the top is what I have in mind (~1.2mm), and not much change to heart or kidneys.

Thin at the bottom, or thick? Different authors say different things.

Narrow ankles, or not? I have heard narrowing the ankles lowers the tone of the bridge.

Michael Darnton says too thick in the middle/waist = nasal

Hutchins says large kidney and heart dulls a shrill tone.

Reichers says a small heart = harder tone.

Thoughts on crotch arches?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

No idea yet! Question
John Cadd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject: Bridge for a dull fiddle Reply with quote

Has the soundpost been adjusted (or changed ) yet ?It sounds like a better soundpost will improve what you have there .If the post needs to be longer (to improve the G string ,obviously )then you need a new soundpost . The practical running order of changes needs to be followed . I don`t think a new bridge will overcome a soundpost fault .Anyway add that to the recipe to understand what you have .Also think about good strings as a minimum to give you a chance .You may learn a lot with a bad (or unhappy ) violin , but let`s not condemn it just yet .
The topic has gone dead but it`s a pity to leave cadavers of dead topics lying around the forum . Cadavers can be pronounced Cadiver which sounds much better .
I tried to learn Russian once and compared the phrasebooks for French with phrasebooks for Russian. The French books had discussions about cheese and wine .(Imaginary scenarios ). The Russian books had sentences like "I think he`s been dead for some time .He`s frozen solid ".Just a different emphasis reflecting their weather .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: