Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi from Adelaide Australia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Introduction, Rules and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dalpets

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:00 am    Post subject: Hi from Adelaide Australia Reply with quote

I'm an 83 y.o. who needs something to challenge me before I'm boxed.
I chose violin making. Little did I know just how challenging that would be. Many of the questions I have had along the way so far, could Im sure, be answered in a luthier's course & in short order, but doing it independently in this drawn out way is really looking for a massive migraine, so I've come here to seek well intentioned amateur help instead of the tortuous, often half piecemeal answers, from elsewhere.

I should note here that many of the practical quality resources needed to make violins are just not available here in Australia & that is a massive negative compared to the reasonable availability of parts, in say the US. That is to be expected given the population difference but the associated freight costs are often not justifiable leaving one in the lurch & only open to inferior Chinese xzylw!!!!

Down the track (18/2)...........As I said above when I joined, this a very challenging subject, As such it needs more than a modicum of guidance.

So, it turns out that my time on these forums has been anything but helpful. Whenever I login the mainstream is overwhelmingly of lurkers. Practical & helpful support is almost non-existant & stats indicate that posts by registered users has dropped dramatically in recent years. It seems that it has become a coterie, almost exclusively, for intercourse between moderators & very few senior members. As such it is wasting my time & I have found much more useful online sites.

And why does the administrator's rules grant special privileges to moderators with regard to advertising. That seems counter intuitive & open to misuse?

Be warned!

...............As at 27/2 there are no registered users using this forum, probably the same for the other forums here. It has just become an archive for lurkers because they cannot get help any other way. Like them, once I have picked the bones of old posts I'll be out of here.

As a new user I was told by a disinterested moderator which mold to get me going. Trouble is there is virtually no information available for this Strad mold to make a respectable violin. Shame on you!

The Strad 1703 'Setembre' he recommended is not even mentioned in the Wikepdia full listing of Strads so he has left me 'dead in the water'.

Once there was a lot of interest in these forums but now it seem that the Administrator & his moderators have lost interest, but still want to retain their dubious leadership credentials, Maybe these forums need new leadership blood to reactivate interest again!
jackgordon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello sir! Im new here too! If you need to check this service. Also they can help with dissertation.

Last edited by jackgordon on Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Cadd

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:10 am    Post subject: Hi from Adelaide Reply with quote

Hello dalpets . I found you just now on the Mold topic versus Mr Darnton .
I had imagined you as a young maker but you are ahead of me . I`m only 79 .My ancestors arrived in Adelaide over one hundred years ago and there is a place named after them beside the vineyards . "Cadd Court". It`s north of the city Adelaide .The family had moved from England near Oxford .They were a farming family and moved onwards to America after 11years . Some stayed there in Australia . The American contingent became Original US settlers in San Bernadino . These were direct relations to our branch in Plymouth. One Annie Cadd married Wyatt Earp`s Father. (his third wife I think ). That`s on Wikipedia .
If you are fairly new to violin making I can describe a very useful tool I made for quick accurate thicknessing . It`s the single most useful thing I have .
Good luck .
FillSmith

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there dude! And Welcome! The article by Attract Group provides practical advice on preventing website downtime, check https://attractgroup.com/blog/how-to-prevent-website-downtime/. It succinctly covers various strategies, such as regular updates, reliable hosting, and comprehensive monitoring. These insights are invaluable for businesses aiming to maintain a robust online presence and ensure seamless user experiences. A must-read for webmasters and IT teams.

Last edited by FillSmith on Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:12 am; edited 2 times in total
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: adelaide Reply with quote

Hello dalpets
I started learning about violin making about 1959 . I was 16 .
It was from the book Violin Making as it was and is. By Ed Heron Allen. He was a well known scientist who was taught what to do by an established maker. He only made 2 violins himself but the instructions still work .
The book has an American printing that leaves out a lot of Latin quotations (I think they leave them out ). The phrasing is not so much Victorian English . But if you like Charles Dickens you might prefer the English version .
There are fold out sheets for the main violins described so you have a pattern for the molds. One Is a Strad and the other is the Guarneri . My diagram sheets look a bit moldy now . I spent a lot of time sorting out the main facts from the fluff .Much of the book includes articles from his readers with many ideas that don`t really work . The index is not perfect either . But it`s not an expensive book . I went to a violin making competition as a spectator one year at Newark and the chap I was talking with had entered his first violin made from a very thin instruction book where it was made without any mold. Yes of course he won first prize . I shook his hand as they announced the result .Mr Darnton started with the Heron Allen book himself . So did some eminent famous makers . Most violin books will have enough information for molds . The internet is not as rich a source as good old fashioned paper books . And nobody argues about anything .
You might find it helps to make Jigs to assist your efforts . Some makers sneer at the idea of Jigs and some famous makers used loads of them .
Learn how to make a Shooting Board for the centre joints . Then learn how to sharpen a plane blade . If you see any Sorby chisels or gouges in Australia you can rely on sharp edges . I used a Sorby gouge for most of the first violin belly I had to replace . Sorby ,made in Sheffield ,tools were exported to Australia .They had a kangaroo on the blades .Or a hanging sheep .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Introduction, Rules and Suggestions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: