Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Note to Violinists .Odessa is in the Ukraine ####Not Russia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Cadd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject: Note to Violinists .Odessa is in the Ukraine ####Not Russia Reply with quote

I just wanted to clarify that David Oistrakh came from Ukraine ##Not Russia and Heifetz was born in Lithuania ##Not Russia . And Mikhael Tal (World Champion Chess player ) came from Latvia ##Not Russia .
I hope the bombs will not smash too many precious violins in Odessa .
John Cadd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:25 am    Post subject: Note to violinists Reply with quote

Today Valery Gergiev has been sacked as conductor of the Munich Philharmonic because he is a supporter and friend of Putin and refused to condemn the invasion , where cluster bombs are being used against civilians . All very relevant in the world of music but if this topic is banned it would not surprise me .
John Cadd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Odessa Reply with quote

The madness in Ukraine is very disturbing when you remember David Oistrakh who grew up in Odessa and think of the music "The Gates of Kiev". The many Russians who despise the war must feel desperately sad and confused by it all . One minor relief is the dull concrete Kruschevka buildings do not collapse onto the residents .
If you lived in a Kruschevka house (concrete panel construction )the space was minimal and the ceilings were quite low . Not much good if you stand up to play a violin and the bow hits the ceiling . Some houses had higher ceilings and they are treasured by the lucky ones .
John Cadd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject: Note to violinists Reply with quote

My first message was to release my annoyance from a different forum where so many players argued that Ukraine was part of Russia . Also that Oistrakh was Russian . It`s a geography thing rather than a political thing .
The problem with Giergiev is not so simple. If he has a family and friends in Russia he might drop them into serious trouble if he makes the wrong statements (in the Revered Leader`s opinion ) about Ukraine . Revered Leaders always make up their own rules .Like writing on a forum he has to watch out and be very careful about his words . If not it`s next stop the graveyard , if he`s lucky .
John Cadd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Odessa Reply with quote

One strange mention about Giergiev almost blames him for the Chechen war . How many would go that far ? None of the last weeks news has made any sense to me .Why would you want a country full of concrete rubble ?
John Cadd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:45 am    Post subject: Note to violinists Reply with quote

Now , today we learn that France and Germany since 2014 have been supplying arms to Moscow after carefully exploiting a loophole in the EU bans .
What a total farce to pillory a well known conductor in a German orchestra when the county`s leaders are making money supplying weapons to the Russians . This trade has continued until last year . A Total Farce .
John Cadd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject: Odessa Reply with quote

Most Ukrainians understand the Russian language . Most Russians cannot understand the Ukrainian language . Imagine WW2 where German guards were bellowing orders at prisoners from various countries .
In the BBC News we were watching each day to see when the continuous BBC News Channel would lose interest and forget Ukraine . That happened about one week ago . That must have been Rupert Murdoch pulling his little string . He treats the world like his private model railway .
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Benno Moiseiwitsch and Nigel Kennedy Reply with quote

I had been researching the end of Benno Moiseiwitsch`s career to see if I had heard his final concert in London. That led to the story of Daisy Kennedy . They were married but later divorced . Daisy Kennedy was a violinist from Australia and if you search around there is a short recording of her playing . She was a superbly gifted musician and her cousin was in the same gene pool that led to Nigel Kennedy the all round great violinist .
I almost forgot to say that Moiseiwitsch was born in Ukraine (Not Russia ) and studied piano in Odessa .That was in the old days when Odessa was spelled with a double S.Then he moved to Vienna and later on England and a worldwide career .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: