Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mold measurements
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's the first book I bought about violins, too, when I was about 13 or 14, and I still have it. Relatively there's a lot of info in it, some bad, some good, but certainly more than any other source. The method is somewhat tedious and has some strange ideas, but a lot of people have built a lot of violins from that book. A few years ago when they were cheap I bought several copies of the Dover reprint edition to hand out to people who were curious.

There are a lot of worse ways to spend $20. I believe the book has been in print continuously since its inception around 1885. That's quite an accomplishment.

Another fun and cheap book is the Hills' Antonio Stradivari, his life and work, which also has been available in a Dover reprint edition. Even though it was published in 1902 every bit of it is still good, which is kind of amazing in a field where new info is coming fast and furious. They didn't know everything, but they didn't stretch to say things that weren't certain.
John Cadd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:09 am    Post subject: Mold Measurements Reply with quote

Mr Darnton (very formal today) What I think you should do is find a way to edit (Precis ) the Heron -Allen book without the misleading stuff about gluing linings inside violins and leave out all the Latin . More like an updated version of the Bible although that is horrendous in style . You don`t want the "Full English" version .That sounds like a big breakfast . One comment on the Pianoworld forum objected to writing from that era such as "It is a universally accepted truth etc etc." and said it was Not Cool . He was a Justin Bieber fan , whoever that was .
John Cadd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject: Mold Measurements Reply with quote

What the Heron -Allen book needs is like a large Errata list . Just page numbers under two headings. Good solid information ,up to date and well verified , and another page list --Things to ignore . The book can then be seen through a modern lense which removes distortions . That would be a very thin volume . Nobody would moan about copyright .It would just be a list of page numbers or paragraph numbers . A D to Z list .Darnton to Zygmuntowicz . With a final list of makers who give it their blessing . Think of it as a late inclusion with the magazine comments mentioned in the book .
That book needed a better index with more cross references .
John Cadd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject: Mold Measurements Reply with quote

Better still would be a Heron Allen topic here on this forum divided into Chapters . All comments should refer strictly to one specific chapter .Cross referencing is not very effective on the net . Photographs disappear after a short time . But the leads are left in place like derelict buildings .Words should be enough.We don`t want a child`s colouring book version . The Chapter topics should have the chapter number shown and the topic list should be kept in numerical order . Nobody will be allowed to say --"That was mentioned 5 years ago and you have bumped this thread . " It`s about a slice of violin history. It`s allowed to be old .Then have a looser ,general free for all heading .
You will all have to learn and contribute in Latin for it to survive the passage of time.
(A wee joke .)
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Mold Measurements Reply with quote

John Cadd wrote:
Better still would be a Heron Allen topic here on this forum divided into Chapters . ....

Great idea John... Love to see it happen.
The Herron Allen book was my first book too, I had gone to several book stores in London ON and there were none to be had on violin construction.
Next step was the library and the Herron Allen book was the only one available... at the time, and because it was the only book available, I assumed that it was the ultimate source of info for all violin construction.... my, how we learn as time goes on!!
John Cadd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject: Mold measurements Reply with quote

For makers who used the Herron Allen book we could have "All the things I did wrong with my first Herron Allen book attempt ".
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! And also "All the things I did in the most difficult possible way, thanks to H-A! :-)
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:57 am    Post subject: Mold measurements Reply with quote

The depressing list of Heron Allen`s achievements includes his collection of 12,000 books which included many rare books on violins which he bequeathed to the Royal College of Music. Was that a waste of time giving it to them ? First I have ever heard about them .
Depressing ,because in a film from Antarctica the scientists referred to Heron Allen`s discoveries about amoebas that they might find in the ice .Then he did a translation of the Rubaiyat by Omar Kyam . And he practised law too . Somebody should have stopped him .
John Cadd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:08 am    Post subject: Mold Measurements Reply with quote

I looked up the Royal College of Music Books Catalogue and there was nothing there . No knowledge of the Heron -Allen rare violin books collection . Well it Was a waste of time giving it to them . They have 500,000 books and Some have been catalogued . Only Some .
John Cadd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject: mold measurements Reply with quote

In the Royal College of Music site there is a section ---"Our Collections "which has a list of books or papers and newspaper references filed under Heron -Allen . It`s a sprawling list with references to Violins etc . The list has 115 pages with roughly 50 items per page . It must be impossible to sift out anything useful from such a collection . Who has enough lifetimes to read and interpret it all ? Some of the RCM catalogues are on cards like the London CID searching for serial killers back in the day .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: