Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Banjo and Fiddle composition by Kroll

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Cadd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:40 pm    Post subject: Banjo and Fiddle composition by Kroll Reply with quote

Banjo and Fiddle by Kroll is a good test of bow control after plucking the starting chords . I wanted to know which finger does the plucking to leave a steady control of the bowing so soon afterwards .Antal Zalai does a good performance of this .
I just played it back at quarter speed and can see he strums with the middle finger but also just realised the bow is tucked into his palm upside down .That`s something I never imagined before . What a fine control mechanism that is for bowing . So the Thumb and Middle finger must control the rotation to bring the hair onto the string . That` a nice piece of reverse engineering for you .
I edited the Middle finger and Thumb as the Rotator controls . That makes more sense .

Last edited by John Cadd on Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Cadd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:53 pm    Post subject: Banjo and Fiddle Reply with quote

My teacher could play this piece and I always thought it was a kind of ultimate test of violinist ability . How many violin teachers would be happy to demonstrate their style if a pupil made that the test to find a good teacher ? The bow my teacher used had a soft sticky wrapping where normally you find hard string winding . It was some kind of silicone or rubber . I used it just once when he asked me to play minuet in G ,one of my first lessons at ten years old. The sticky ,soft bow was something I noticed right away . Itzak Perlman has something like that on his bow .
John Cadd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:44 pm    Post subject: Banjo and Fiddle Reply with quote

I need to correct some of my little analysis here .I just looked at a short Itzak Perlman lesson about his Belgian bow hold and I forgot the main contact with the bow is between Thumb and Middle finger so the change from Plucking to Bowing is a roll along the middle finger . That makes more sense and is more secure .The middle finger extends to pluck and the bow rotates into the palm. The first finger just does it`s normal thing to vary the pressure plus the ring finger and pinky . Practice all that separate from the violin . Become very Thumb Conscious . Keep your thumb nail short like Itzak .
John Cadd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:28 pm    Post subject: banjo and fiddle Reply with quote

A different performance of Banjo shows a lady plucking with the forefinger . But apart from the quick gearchange to start bowing she plays it so fast it might set a new time record but musically falls flat as a pancake. This is a perfect case of losing touch with the audience .It`s almost impossible to enjoy it as music . What is the point of racing through it so fast ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: