Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old violin advice needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pellek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Old violin advice needed Reply with quote

So I bought this old violin.

The person I bought it from told it was from his father or his grandfather (I can't remember what he said). He also said no-one had played on it for fifty years.

It has cost me eighty euro's, but my question is this:

What should I do with this violin. It's very fragile, but I want to play on it.

So should I go to a luthier, and ask him what I should do?

It has some scratches, but it seems ok. Everything's there, one peg was broken, but the owner had a spare peg, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I can't find any brand-names on the violin. The bridge says Panpi.

And I'm sorry for the quality of the pictures. When I get the chance I will update them.
jessupe goldastini

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bring it to a qaulified violin repair shop, make sure there are no unseen structual repairs that be needed and that the sound post is in properly, have the peg turned,set up, put some stings on and play away.......
FiddleDoug

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Old fiddle evaluation Reply with quote

Hold the fiddle closer to the camera so I can see it better. Seriously, no one can tell for sure what needs to be done on an instrument just by looking at a few pictures. Take it to to a good luthier. He/she will; look the instrument over for open seams and cracks, check the pegs, check the fingerboard for radius and straightness, check the soundpost, and much more. Right off the bat, your fiddle has a worn fingerboard that may need planing. The nut is also missing. If there aren't any structural issues, it shouldn't be too expensive to get it back into playing condition. I've done quite a few of these old fiddles, and it usually ends up costing between $100 and $300 to get them back to playing.

www.wallindependent.com
jessupe goldastini

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good eye, did'nt notice the missing nut.....an ebonized fingerboard?
Pellek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will take some picture when it isn't dark, so you can see it better.

The nut isn't missing, it fell off, and I placed it in the case, so I wouldn't lose it Smile.

The only thing I noticed was the big scratch in the middle, caused by the fine-tuner. Other than that there weren't any cracks or open seems I could see (then again, I don't know where to look because I'm used to looking at a guitar when buying something Smile ).

100 - 300 doesn't sound that bad, I hope the price will be that low.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: