Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quilted Maple color

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Quilted Maple color Reply with quote

I've just received some quilted maple for my next project. I'm thinking it should be done in a fairly light color, and am looking for some hints on how to bring out the character of the wood without going to some exotic compounds. I've tried strong tea, it just seems to darken everything the same, plus it plumps the wood up pretty good. I've also used a 1# cut of amber varnish with a few drops of brown, fair results. Any thoughts? A little coloring in alcohol or mineral spirits and just rub it in?

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MANFIO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can dark a bit the wood with tea, but the main colour must be in the varnish, not in the wood.

If you apply colour directly to the wood it can get blotched and unevenly coloured, mainly because of the endgrain in some regions in the top and back.

If you are using an oil varnish you may try some madder lake (Kremer) and asphalt to colour the varnsih, you can add some kerosene to the varnish to make it easier to apply too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7875988@N02/with/464604020/
mapleleaf_gal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the trick is to put on a ground coat that is dark enough to bring out the flame, but does not lock the flame into place.

this can be tricky!
Jack H.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot the name of the product I use... afriend gave me some in a different bottle a long time ago.
It is a veyr nice yellow water stain that really brings out the characteristics of the flame.
sorry no help on the name though...
J
jessupe goldastini

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grain celebration....the proper term for describing the differences in varying wood grain...

burn it....

sun /u.v light
chemical burn {ammonia fuming}
burnish polish with pumice

on raw wood, help bring this out

manfio describes using pumice in his finish tech, this grain burnishing is key to achiving grain celebration

for example take a peice of scrap maple....

sand it with 60 grit paper....the flame will disappear or be hidden.....now sand that peice down to 320 grit.....watch the grain pop out....take pumice and dry buff it....watch it jump out even more....

the best way is to use scrapers only{they burnish as they go} then use pumice as the final rub down...

i think you will find that prep on the wood prior to ground coats is a big part of locking it in....
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Quilted Maple Reply with quote

Super ideas, thanks all. I'm saving the scraps to try your various techniques.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: