Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

String Question for 3/4 Violin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elkwoman46

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: String Question for 3/4 Violin Reply with quote

The 3/4 violin came in and I promptly broke the E string. Bummer.
But I could tell that it was a goner when I saw how corroded it was.
Now here is the deal, I have a new set of violin strings for 4/4.
But I do know that 3/4 violins take smaller strings.
Yet, here I find online that many violin strings sets are packaged for 3/4 and 4/4 and seem to be made for one or the other, it don't matter.
When I compare this broken E string to my 4/4 violin it does appear to be thinner...most definitely.
So if I buy a set that is made for both 3/4 and 4/4 does that mean that the thickness will be somewhere in between? Or will I in fact be just buying another set of 4/4 where the manufacturer thinks it will work for both?
Or????
I would appreciate any help.
Also, is it true that aluminum strings are more for fiddlin'
and I heard stainless steel more for classical?
I don't see that word stainless too much in describing strings.
What are the perlon ones made for? Classical or fiddlin?

Thanks so much for everything.
God bless you.
Elkwoman46

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there! Furthermore...grin...I just noticed that there are also string sets made for 1/2 or 3/4.
Oh am I getting confused.
Someone please help!
I don't want to buy something that won't work properly, and I don't think I am ready to spend too much right now.
Actually, I would prefer strings that will keep in tune longer, as I am trying to train my ear and desire all the help I can...at least to play a song through in tune.
At this point, also, I find that I am torn from what sound I really want.
I like strong clear notes, and loud and all that, but there is a side of me that also desires that ultra sweet sound.
So, if I settle for now for just steel strings or something like that, what brands are good...I did read here that Red Label is good. Any others?
Should I stick with the size made exactly for 3/4 or is that necessary?
What are the rules and advantages or disadvantages?
Does it seem correct that if I go for 3/4 or 4/4 size that it might be flabby strings or if 1/2 to 3/4 a high risk of breakage from being tight in tune?
Thanks so kindly.
mapleleaf_gal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use strings that are marked 3/4 size. it is mainly the length that is the difference between a 3/4 and 4/4. if you have to use the 4/4 size e string, you can. but better to get a shorter one (3/4) and use it instead. that way you wont have to clip it down to the proper length.

you do not want to use 1/2 size. they'll be way too short. every violin size has coordinating strings that go with it. ex: 4/4 size violin takes 4/4 strings, 3/4 size takes 3/4 strings, 1/16 size, takes 1/16 size strings. i think you get the picture.....

start with steel strings when you are learning to tune. they are cheap and do not flex as much and are much harder to break. the downside is that they dont sound as good. but once you are tuning comfortably, then you can move up to higher end strings that have a gut or synthetic gut core. unless you go with helicores. they have a metal core, but sound much better than cheap steel strings. but they are just as expensive as gut or synthetic gut. so, i'd still hold off on something like that, too.
Jack H.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will be fine using a 4/4 e string.
generally steel strings are for fiddlin and the perlon gives a nicer warm, almost gut string quality of sound.

Although you can fiddle with perlon strings to, it is not an either or kind of thing
Elkwoman46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thank you everyone for your replies and help and comments and all!
I really appreciate it.
I went ahead and ordered regular steel strings and one Perlon.
I thought and thought about it, and then I even got further advice so I think it would help me to first make sure I have strings that will keep in tune easier, then progress to better sounding ones.
Thanks so much again. I can't wait to get them.
And oh, I really did find strings that are only made for 3/4 violins; at least I think so!!!!
I hope so!
Well, I will see when I compare it to what is on the instrument currently!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: