Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there a free software that

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Everything Else
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack H.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Is there a free software that Reply with quote

will take a tune that is played and write the notes for it??

I am listening to some fantastic Celtic music and I want to play along but I need to practice and I need the notes.

Goes too fast to get it from listening although I have a good idea where the notes are.

Jack
Pentaholic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the notation thing but there is software as well as portable units that have a time stretch feature. This allows you to slow a piece or part of a piece of music to half it's normal speed without altering it's pitch. This is often referred to as a phrase trainer.

It definitely makes it easier to pick out the notes in a fast section of music...
Becky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finale notepad is free. It's a notation program, but I'm not sure if it will notate the music being played or if you have to notate it manually. You can do a search and find where to download finale notepad. I no longer have input capabilities on my computer, so I can't check for you.
I also use Music Time Deluxe (I got the program for about $10, new on ebay) and that one I know will notate what is being played. However, it might only notate what is directly inputed into the computer (i.e., a keyboard hooked up to the computer).
Smart Music is a free program (actually the complete program isn't free, but the scaled down trial version is) that will record anything that your computer's microphone picks up...however, I'm not sure if it will notate.
I know that didn't completely answer your question, but maybe something there will help.
Poetinwood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: is there freeware Reply with quote

I have never seen a freeware program that will
notate music played into it.
In fact, I have purchased several programs that
said it could do it and couldn't. I sure wish someone
would write a good one.
Becky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finale (the version you pay for, not the free one) is my favorite notation program to play into and have it notate what you're playing. I think it's the most popularly used program in music schools too. The music lab at my college had it and it was great! I don't have it on my computer because it's more than I can spend right now. As mentioned, I use a cheap program called MusicTime Deluxe. It notates okay. The biggest problem I encounter is if my playing is not exactly right, the notation will be messed up. (e.g. if I was supposed to play 2 quarter notes but came just a smidge too soon, it'll notate it exactly as I played it with dotted 16th or 32nd notes...that is really a problem with me rather than the program. Finale has a little more flexibility...I think you can alter the settings on how exact you want it)
There are programs that work. Which ones have you tried?
Gizmo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: MIDI Reply with quote

It is probably true that you need an instrument with a midi interface in order to get notation. That amounts to being connected to the computer. Simple audio recording via microphone, etc. won't work.

I think most modern keyboards will work to a midi interface.

However, someone has to play the music for the computer to recognize AND that can require tricky settings because the computer will take you literally .... timing mistakes, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Everything Else All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: