Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just a Dream? Or could it be a Reality?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fiddledeedee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Again Everyone...you all gave me such great insight and alot of information to get started. I now have 5 books (read all of them, but of course will keep them as referances) I have another on the way. I borrowed a few wood working referance books from my cousin (he's a cabinet maker) And I will definatly look into that interlibary loan thing. I'd love to own that book " A Manual for Violin Makers" by Hans Weisshaar and Margaret Shipman" in the future, but hey...if I can atleast read some of it for now that would be great.

I have collected 4 neglected violins each have there own problems. I have a kit. I have also ordered a few "tools of trade" and I have inquired about 2 wookshops I'm interested in come next spring. So Thanks again for all your help..I now feel like I have a good running start. And not to sound odd. But I have an old wood violin case here that has 2 cracks and a chunck of wood missing. I plan to fix those first as a pratice before I touch the violins. I think it will be good pratice anyways.

You all have been such a big help an I appreciate your advice and willingness to help out a want-to-be.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
jessupe goldastini

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dream or reality.....

sounds pretty real to me....

good luck...
byacey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sooner you can get your hands on a gouge, plane, scraper etc., you will learn a vast amount about how the tools work with grain direction, flame and other properties of the various woods in violin making. Getting to know the tools and what they are going to do in a particular piece of wood is invaluable experience. Once you learn this, it will save you from many errors that people starting out tend to make. It will also give you a more sure hand for making repairs on existing instruments. A kit will give you an idea how the instrument is assembled, but most of the bullwork is already done and doesn't offer you the opportunity to be shaping the arching, cutting a scroll etc. It's not as hard as one would thing initially, but the trick is to go slow at first until you learn what you are doing. Efficiency will come with experience. There's always the excitement of rushing to string up your new creation, but it's the haste that promotes errors, injury and poor craftsmanship (craftswomanship?). This is part of the learning curve of developing patience and a sure hand.

Oh, and just a word of advice - don't try and carve a scroll out of soft wood for practice. I still have a big scar on the palm of my hand from 25 years ago where the gouge entered when the wood broke away. Keep your hands away from sharp edges and always make sure you are cutting away from yourself!!
byacey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byacey wrote:
The sooner you can get your hands on a gouge, plane, scraper etc., you will learn a vast amount about how the tools work with grain direction, flame and other properties of the various woods in violin making. Getting to know the tools and what they are going to do in a particular piece of wood is invaluable experience. Once you learn this, it will save you from many errors that people starting out tend to make. It will also give you a more sure hand for making repairs on existing instruments. A kit will give you an idea how the instrument is assembled, but most of the bullwork is already done and doesn't offer you the opportunity to be shaping the arching, cutting a scroll etc. It's not as hard as one would think initially, but the trick is to go slow at first until you learn what you are doing. Efficiency will come with experience. There's always the excitement of rushing to string up your new creation, but it's the haste that promotes errors, injury and poor craftsmanship (craftswomanship?). This is part of the learning curve of developing patience and a sure hand.

Oh, and just a word of advice - don't try and carve a scroll out of soft wood for practice. I still have a big scar on the palm of my hand from 25 years ago where the gouge entered when the wood broke away. Keep your hands away from sharp edges and always make sure you are cutting away from yourself!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: