Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

anyone tried "african rooibos" red tea as stain ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jethro

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: anyone tried "african rooibos" red tea as stain ? Reply with quote

Found this tea in store-never noticed it before. It is red and I am trying to get a red-brown outcome. I have used strong (4 bags/ half cup) red rose brand black pekoe tea with good results. (this I drink !)
The red tea has a kind of cinimon taste!

Tim
PeterG

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a cup of that not too long ago. I don't know what kind of stain it would make but must say I didn't care for the taste all that much. I use King Cole orange pekoe and I have used Red Rose also for stain. Not much difference that I can see, but both good drinks. A lot faster than sun tanning the wood, especially with our maritime winters.
kubasa

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be a dumb question but how do y'all apply the tea? Do you use a spray bottle and spray it on lightly or just brush it on? How many coats do you use? Also, do you end up having to re-scrape the wood to smooth it due to grain raising? Sorry for all the questions. I've never "tanned" my wood before finishing but I'm thinking about trying it on the next one.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of people raise the grain on purpose. The corduroy effect is liked by some. I have done this on several instruments, and I like it. But not everyone does.
jethro

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: tea- Reply with quote

Kubasa:
On number one I just painted on several wet coats to the bare wood before any ground or sealing. A few days later I did a coat or two of
dilute shellack as I remember and then steel wooled. But BEWARE ! --
don't steel wool unsealed wood if you are planning on using tea- I found
out the hard way- in bare wood the steel wires jab down into the pores ofthe wood and break off like splinters. They are about invisible untill you
apply the tea which reacts with the invisible splinter to generate a large
BLACK spot at each hidden splinter. It looks like you let sharpie ink bleed
out on the wood ! I had to rescrape and still I couldn't get it all 100%-
and I couldn't use the tea on that one - which resulted in a beautiful but
too blonde instrument ! (dumb blonde ! )

Tim
kubasa

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies and thanks for the tip on steel wool, Jethro. I avoid sandpaper generally but I do have a tendency to use steel wool every now and then so that information will be useful. I really want to try some tea on my next instrument so I appreciate the remarks.
MANFIO

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use English tea, but quite strong, 3 tea bags boiled in one cup and half of water, 2 or 3 coats.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7875988@N02/with/464604020/
Barry Dudley

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have meant to ask this question before but do you apply the tea to the raw wood and then your ground?
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Tea Reply with quote

I followed Manfio's suggestion, with my own variation, and used about 5 teabags in about a half cup of boiling water, let it steep some time, pressed the bags out, and applied it to back and sides of a violin I'm just fitting up now. It brought out grain features that were invisible before. I wiped it on with a paper towel, twice, not a real soaking. It did raise the grain, so I put a thin very diluted amber shellac coating (1# cut) to stabilize the grain, and then lightly scraped it down. Looks real nice for what was pretty plain wood. What kind of tea? It was a mix of teabags, I think an orange pekoe, a couple English Breakfast, and an Irish something. Whatever the wife wouldn't miss.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
M Mibeck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone tried "african rooibos" red tea as stai Reply with quote

jethro wrote:
Found this tea in store-never noticed it before. It is red and I am trying to get a red-brown outcome. I have used strong (4 bags/ half cup) red rose brand black pekoe tea with good results. (this I drink !)
The red tea has a kind of cinimon taste!

Tim

Tried all manner of herbal teas.

Tea does work as a colorant. I find that teas apply an even
color and are more predictable than watercolors.

However red is such a complicated color
that i doubt tea alone will get you to red.

most of the tea browns have a greenish tint to them and this green tint dissappears with the red tones of a varnish.

The reddest tea on the market is a Habiscus tea
although the tea is red
the stain it leaves is pink (like salmon pink).

Red is a fascinating as a color. I dont think tea will get you to red.

Miles
Geemac

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thin coat or 2 of orange shellac will also give nice color.
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: stains Reply with quote

My approach is to bring out the contrast in the wood, and not so concerned about color until the color varnish stage.

I've taken to using very diluted clear shellac with a small amount of water based walnut stain mixed in. Doesn't raise the grain so much. You might try that on a scrap piece. You can experiment with mahogany for more red. The walnut stain I'm using is by Tru-oil for gunstocks, got it in the sporting goods store.

I've been adding a coat of orange varnish before my final colors to get a reddish undertone, which Geemac suggests.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: