Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Neck Dimensions and fingerboard radius

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M.Lange

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Neck Dimensions and fingerboard radius Reply with quote

The neck on my first violin is still too thick and I want to make it thinner.
It is about 21 mm thick towards the scroll and 23 mm towards the heel.
The neck without the fingerboard is 14mm and 15,5mm thick.
Is it better to thin down the fingerboard or the neck?
Also the radius at the end of the fingerboard is a bit less than 42mm.
It was a prepared fingerboard and I didn't check the radius before. Embarassed
By the way what is the correct fingerboard radius at the nut?

Thank you,
Matthias
Jeffrey Holmes

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest getting the board to the right thickness at the edges and correct the curvature first, then trim the neck to the proper thickness.

I set the board thickness at the corners between 5.2 and 5.5 mm (same measurement at all 4 corners). I use a continuous radius (42 mm) for the curvature.

Once the board thickness is set, you can trim the neck. 21/23 is a bit heavy for my tastes.... but see where you are once the board in in spec.

http://holmesviolins.com
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Darnton posted on this previously, but I can't seem to locate it....( maybe someone can find it) seems to me his comment was that there are two ways to carve a fingerboard... one like the boards usually come preshaped... they are conical in shape... ie the radius at the nut end is smaller than at the bridge end. As I recall this is more of a European tradition. The other way is to maintain a continuous 42mm curve over the entire length... but then there is a little more work in getting the lengthwise concavity to work to get the appropriate clearance for each of the strings.... Cheers, Mat
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffrey Holmes wrote:

I set the board thickness at the corners between 5.2 and 5.5 mm (same measurement at all 4 corners). I use a continuous radius (42 mm) for the curvature.

Jeffrey... I am curious ... The Courtnall book talks of the FB thickness as being 4.5 mm... that is a significant difference from your dimension.. I thought that FB thickness has a significant effect on tone.
Love to hear your thoughts... Thanks, Mat
Jeffrey Holmes

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat Roop wrote:

Jeffrey... I am curious ... The Courtnall book talks of the FB thickness as being 4.5 mm... that is a significant difference from your dimension.. I thought that FB thickness has a significant effect on tone.
Love to hear your thoughts... Thanks, Mat

Just about everything one does to a violin has the potential to effect tone or response... and fingerboard mass certainly does have a noticeable impact.

I'm not familiar wih (never have opened) the Courtnall book. Is that measurement after chamfering the edge of the board or before?

If it's before, in my opinion, 4.5 mm at the corners is a bit too thin. It also renders a rather flexible board (a bit too much so) that has a limited life (can't be dressed many times). Tonally/response wise, a slightly thicker board often provides a more stable, solid feel. The mass of the board also can have effects on wolf tones on certain instruments.

Thickness is a general rule, however. I'm sure one can find an exception or two (violin sounds better with a thinner board)... but that may have to do with other factors within the instrument or setup.

Cheers,

M.Lange

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I'll do that.

Maybe this article is interesting for you. It is about tonal influences of the fingerboard. http://www.schleske.de/11handbuch/en_extras3handbuch09griffbrett.pdf

Matthias
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffery, The dimension shows 4.5 mm as the width of the side of the fingerboard, which is not perpendicular to the radius. The thickness along the radius is shown as 4.0mm but does not show a chamfer.
Would it be a safe assumption that a thicher heavier violin needs a thicker heavier fingerboard? or is that not a rational relationship?
You also mention redressing fingerboards. If a FB has warped to a convex shape, have you tried or had sucess in bending a FB back to shape?.. or is that a hopeless venture?
Cheers, Mat
Jeffrey Holmes

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat Roop wrote:
Jeffery, The dimension shows 4.5 mm as the width of the side of the fingerboard, which is not perpendicular to the radius. The thickness along the radius is shown as 4.0mm but does not show a chamfer.
Would it be a safe assumption that a thicher heavier violin needs a thicker heavier fingerboard? or is that not a rational relationship?
You also mention redressing fingerboards. If a FB has warped to a convex shape, have you tried or had sucess in bending a FB back to shape?.. or is that a hopeless venture?
Cheers, Mat

Hi Mat;

Sounds like it might actually be a good thing that I've never opened the Courtnall book. Smile

Anyway, I start considering replacement when the corners get close to 4 mm. Hate to start them out that way.

As far as fiddle/board relationships go, I'd say it may be a factor in what I choose to do, but more important would be the wood (density) used for the board. I do "tune" the free end in a general way, but I'm looking for a range, not an exact, frequency. The board will be planed and dressed in the future, and will still be expected to perform correctly. Most of the mass adjustment goes on into the underside of the board (the hollowed part). The actual character of the instrument (it's response, not the mass of the build) is another thing I consider.

I guess I'd suggest that each person interested in the effects of the board draw his/her own conclusions as far as method/effect... and I think that there are several factors to consider (free end tuning, mass, stiffness, etc.). For example, Martin's ideas are interesting, but the "proof" is in reproducing the results in a way that is satisfying to oneself. I have my own ideas... and am open minded when I hear others... but tend to draw on my own experience for guidance.

As far a warped boards, I tend to simply replace them once they move past a certain point. I'm not sure I'd trust one to remain straight once it was "re-cambered"... and you'd have to remove it to do the job correctly anyway.

Last edited by Jeffrey Holmes on Sat May 17, 2008 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
chrisandcello

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've straightened the end of a fingerboard in situ successfully with a heat gun. The end had bowed so it was touching the strings.
I did'nt protect the instrument as well as I might....just tin foil ...should really have had material under the foil too as small area of varnish bubbled.
I accept the method is unprofessional/bodge like...but it worked on that occasion....(the instrument was/is of nominal value and my own to experiment on)
violinarius

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest that if you are removing the fingerboard, then you can use it for nuts, so all is not lost.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: