Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fitting the soundpost

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Fitting the soundpost Reply with quote

On a violin I'm just finishing I tried a method for fitting the soundpost before closing the violin up. Don't know the "school solution" but here's what I did.

Before closing the top, I set the back and ribs level and flat, marked the stop line, and set a bridge blank centered over the line and drew a small almost invisible circle where the expected post position should be (don't use pencil - leaves slick spot). I cut a post a little long, marked the ends A and B so I wouldn't get confused, and trimmed one end until it would stand straight up in the circle without support, giving me a perfect fit flush with the back. I then took a steel ruler and suspended it across the ribs, and marked the post where it hit the ruler.

Then I took the top, laid it out nice and level, again using a bridge blank, estimated where the correct location of the post should be, draw a small and light (almost invisible) circle, and trimmed that end of the post till it would stand up on its own in the circle. I laid the steel ruler across the edges, just barely clearing the bass bar, checking where the mark I made previously on the post to see where it met the ruler. Trimmed until I left it about .5mm long according to the mark on the post.

When I installed the soundpost after closing the violin up, I had a perfect fit where I had marked the front and back with a small circle. Of course, once I get fitted up, I may have to move it out of the circle, but at least I started out with a really nicely trimmed soundpost.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
M.Lange

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good idea to me. I will try that on my next one.
joejoe

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: hi everyone new here Reply with quote

i just found a german copy of a strat in bad shape the thing is that it has strings on the top and bottum of the sound post almost like thats how it was set any ideas?
joejoe

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: hi everyone new here Reply with quote

i just found a german copy of a strat in bad shape the thing is that it has strings on the top and bottum of the sound post almost like thats how it was set any ideas?
joejoe

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: hi everyone new here Reply with quote

joejoe

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: sound post with strings Reply with quote

has anyone found this? one on top and on the bottom.
it looks like thats how the sound post was set.
?
joejoe

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: sound post with strings Reply with quote

has anyone found this? one on top and on the bottom.
it looks like thats how the sound post was set.
?
joejoe

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: sorry Reply with quote

sorry for the 3 posts
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not the way to set a sound post, but certainly is a method used by many amateurs and the uninformed!... But it does work in an emerency! cheers, Mat
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: soundpost Reply with quote

Mat:
You were referring to the "strings" method, I hope.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Andres Sender

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave--I think so. Otherwise, if someone used your method in 'an emergency‘ the emergency would immediately get much worse! Wink
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave... sorry I should have been clear....I was indeed responding to the string method question... Cheers, mat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: