Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making 1/16 violin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agapetos

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Making 1/16 violin Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new here.
I have found 4/4 violin measurements all over the internet, but measurements for 1/16... well, most info on 1/16 violin measurements I found is total length, body length and max width...
- Are there some standard sizes for 1/16?
- Are those just my miscalculations or is it really that 1/16 is not proportional in all measures to 4/4. (It seams to me that body compared to neck is smaller in 1/16 than in 4/4)
MANFIO

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a small book called "Il Violino e I Suoi Formati" with all fractional sizes, with plans, but in Italian, it's published in Cremona by Morassi.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7875988@N02/with/464604020/
agapetos

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip... But, I would be really really thankful to anyone who could provide me with information about measurements for 1/16 (without having to buy a book, because (I know it is useful) but right now... I'm kinda short on budget)
MANFIO

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine it's difficult to find the plans in the Internet... You will need not only the measurments but also the outline of the soundbox, scroll, f holes, etc.

I may be wrong, but most probably you will spend more money making one (pegs, tailpiece, tailgut, bridge, strings, wood, varnish, fingerboard, glue, brushes, etc) than getting one ready made.

My children are studying music but I scaped this temptation.... I'll make 4/4 instruments to them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7875988@N02/with/464604020/
KenN

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some measurements from a chart I got from international luthers supply. It is for a Strad model. Body length: 9.05" String length:8.33" Bridge line: 4.95" width bouts: 4.27,2.78,5.31
width corners4.08,4.79 Rib height .81, .77 Arching .4belly, .37 back neck 3.47 fingerboard 6.85. Hope that helps.
agapetos

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS A LOT! Smile Very Happy Mr. Green Now that is what I was searching for!
Cheers!

And... also I was wondering - Is the sound going to be different, because there is smaller capacity of air inside 1/16 than in 4/4? And what do you think - should the plates be thinner or the same?
KenN

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the plates will need to be thinner, but how much thinner I couldn't guess. Probably way thinner than you'd ever go on a full size. I can't imagine it will have much of a low end. But it may have more sound than you'd expect. Small music boxes can carry across quite a distance. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: