Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

double stops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
little lady

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: double stops Reply with quote

Hi, can anyone give me suggestions to help practice and learn double stops? For me, this is the hardest part of violin technique I have encountered.
Trying to learn them is almost taking away my joy in playing violin.
Gizmo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Practice Reply with quote

How long have you been practicing double stops ?
How much time do you devote to double stops in a practice session ?
Jack Rushing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

little lady, I agree with Gizmo. Practice, Practice, Practice. will eventually
get the job done. Something that might make it a little easier while you
are learning, is to make sure the curvature of the top of the bridge is
correct, and loosen the hair of your bow a little.
For most beginners, double stops are easy to play, when you don't need
them, and hard to play, when you do.
pdinphx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little lady,

I'm glad you finally started getting some responses ...

There is a good article in this month's Strings Magazine on double stops; I suggest you get a subscription (or check out their website!).

http://www.stringsmagazine.com/article/default.aspx?articleid=21832

PJ Kim
Phoenix, AZ
Becky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double stops became much easier for me after one of my teachers told me that double stops are not any harder than playing on a single string. The only difference is your bow/arm angle (same concept as having different bow/arm angles for each of the individual strings). Don't play harder for double stops than you would for playing on a single string. It's really a lot simpler than most people realize.
...that being said, practice is very important. Your arm has to learn new bowing placements (similar to when you first started playing and your arm had to get used to knowing where to be in order to get a good sound/bow stroke on each of the strings) and practice is the best way to do that.
It's important to watch your bow and make sure it's straight, but it's also a good idea to play with your eyes closed. It will force the rest of you to work harder, your muscle memory for double stops may develop at a faster rate than if you were solely dependent on your eyes. It might not sound as good at first, but listen and your arm will figure out what to do.
I'm writing in a hurry right now...let me know if anything needs to be clarified and I'll explain more later. Good luck Smile
Shirley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Lady - what kind of double stops are you trying? One open string? Thirds? Octaves?

My teacher showed me that a good way to start is to finger the second string, but do not play it. Go up the scale like this. When pretty sure of your finger placement, play both strings.

I was going to suggest the article in Strings, but I see it has been already noted. Good luck! Even my teacher does not like double stop practice!

Shirley
little lady

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, everyone, for so many good suggestions.

I don´t know how to answer the question about how long I have been trying double stops because I have started so many times in the past, given up and gone on to other technique issues.

I did read the article in Strings Mag. and am going to apply some of the ideas.

I´ll keep plugging away. It´s probably a question of time until I will feel comfortable with them, but I find myself cringing whenever they appear in my sheetmusic and generally avoiding those pieces which call for double stops. Interestingly, I´ve met a lot of other violinists who feel the same about them as I do.

Again, thanks for your help and encouragement.
jethro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: yeah..... Reply with quote

I have to seccond what Jack said and go one step more.....
I have noticed that after I warm up ... I can play a random tune I make
up with little effort and stress in my hands. But then I find a favourit tune I am trying to learn and I revert back to sounding like merbles in a coffee can going down stairs. I think reading music is just a real downer ! Smile
Do we really need to ?????
Tim
mapleleaf_gal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it is intonation you are looking for, then break the notes apart first and practice them that way. then play them together. if it is producing a good sound with your bow, then that just takes practice and practice.

where are you at in new mexico? i grew up there....
dlight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little lady, I remember seeing somewhere (probably on some other fiddle forum!) that you try to imagine a string in between the two strings you're attempting to do a double stop with. You bow that imaginary string, and the result should (with any luck) be a well-balanced double stop. It works for me. It may work for you.
Gantafistor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's many pieces of Bach whose we must use double-stop like the sonata BWV 1014 (pretty good one) in B minor (first movement). You can find it easily on many MIDI websites. It's not so complicated its almost always major or minor sixth but you use all yours fingers... an excellent exercice and you can play it at 100 minim beats... Well Good luck!!

Ganta
little lady

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy to report that for the past 6-8 weeks my instructor has been working with me targeting those double stops. We are using a text, Developing Double Stops, by Harvey S. Whistler, and I am finally beginning to feel a little more comfortable with them.
First my teacher pointed out the difference in consonant and dissonant intervals. We began working on them and he had me start listening for difference or Tartini tones as I played the consonant intervals. Believe it or not, I found all this stuff fascinating, and I am really getting into the whole bit of double stops now.
Yes, my fingers and left arm still get tired practicing them, but everyday I can notice it gets a little bit easier.
Thanks for your comments and support!
grace

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering, how do you play fifths that are not open strings? (i.e., E and B on the D and A strings)

Do you let your finger lie flat on both strings (which I tried and came up with a muffled noise) or is there some technique to it?
Shirley

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlight - imagine a middle string - great idea! Just what I need! Thanks! (It is difficult to imagine how easily I played two strings at once as a beginner, and now have to really work at at!)

Shirley
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: