Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are you working on now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Chandler

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: First violin Reply with quote

Nice looking violin, especially for first one, looks like you've really got a talent for it. I usually take the fingerboard off before finishing, makes it a lot easier to get an even coating.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm" Winston Churchill

"I took the road less travelled, and now I don't know where I am." Marco Polo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Chet Bishop

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your English was perfect, at least for this post...and that is an amazingly good first try violin. Much better than my first try.
Jack H.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.Lange wrote:
Hello everybody.
I'm new to this forum and I'm happy that I found it.
There is a lot of great information, here.
I just started varnishing my first violin. So far I have applied the first two coats. This is how it looks now.

I'm now experimenting with madder lake for the colored coats, but I am not yet satisfied with the results. So I will surely ask some questions in the next time and maybe I can contribute something to other topics.

Matthias

P.S: English is not my first language, so I hope that all that I've written above makes sense. If not, please tell me! Wink

Hey, welcome!
that looks like some very nice work!
Would like to see a close up of the corner and edge detail, but seems like you have a talent for the work.
Great scroll too!
M.Lange

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words. Very Happy
But you would discover quite a few mistakes, if you had a close look at it.
You just can't see them on this photo. Cool
For example, the purfling isn't inlaid very accurately. And it is a bit close to the edge. I'll make a photo of the corners, so you can see it, Jack.
The overhang of the edge is a bit uneven, too.
And the center seam of the back came apart, when I was graduating the back. I had to make crack clamps and reglue it. But it seems to stay glued, now.
Thank you for the advice to take off the fingerboard, Dave. I think I will do it, before I apply the colored coats.
KenN

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uneven overhang, purfling not very well inlaid... sounds like all three of the ones I've gotten that far along on! I think it will take me quite a few more before the tools do what I want them to do all the time. Looks great for a first violin. Don't point the faults out, most people won't notice them, and will just be amazed.
jessupe goldastini

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say all the "mistakes" are what make a hand made violin not one spit out by a cn'c machine....and that you should not "let the little things get to you".......it'll will allow for more production which will allow for true exploration of what will enable you to create fiddles that sound good....i think this was del gesu's path in his later years...his violins were not perfect and i don't think he cared, i think was was more interested in producing more violins that sounded good than less that just looked better
M.Lange

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a close up of the corners:

I'm satisfied with this violin, considering that it is my first one. But I'm trying to be critical, to improve on the next one.
I'm already curious about the sound, but I'm not expecting too much (but hoping for the best Wink ).
I guess it is a lot harder to build a good sounding instrument, than to build a good looking one.

Matthias
Jack H.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta Say Matthias, it is a good looking violin for #1, heck, it is good looking for #20 too.
Nice insertion of th epurfling in th ecorners, nice corner adn edge detail... what is your training? what is your profession.

one of the big things that can kill the shound in too much varnish.

Good luck!
Might have put some more ground on the back next time. but all in all very nice. be proud!
M_A_T_T

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To update my post from last June, #3 is now varnished. Two coats of very thin orange shellac sealer followed by two coats of Amber, two coats of Brown, one coat of Brown with about 11% Black added and one Clear Topcoat of Joseph Hammerl 1A Oil Varnish purchased from Luscombe Vioins. Wink

Making a Violin III - Finally Finished
M.Lange

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt,

very nice color. And the documentation of the building process on your site is very interesting too.

Jack: I'm studying physics. It is my first violin, but it is the second instrument that I've built.
I have been playing the guitar for years and one day I decided to build one. So this has been my training. But it is not comparable to building a violin. The violin is much more difficult. Then a friend, who is collecting violins, supplied me with books on violin making and I became interested. I decided to build one and learn to play the violin. I also had the chance to look at many of my friends great violins, which was a big help, too.

I used potassium silicate as a ground. Maybe I try something, that makes the wood darker the next time.
I will try not to put on too much varnish. I'm still searching for the right color, but I'm getting closer to it. This is the latest sample

It is colored with alizarin Crimson dark, brown and some yellow. But I think I should add more brown.
KenN

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that color just the way it is, maybe even lighter. Looks like the color I always associate with fresh cherry wood. But I also like the clear color you used before and the pale orange of Grancino violins. I'm going to make mine all different colors just for the fun of it.
litebkt

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: What am I working on now? Nothing yet. Reply with quote

I've been building telescopes for a few years and now it's time to move on to something else. (plettstone.com) I'm bored....

... and el medico says no more heavy lifting.

I play the cello and I've had this hankering to learn how to do a few things. While I may never become a real luthier, it might be nice to learn how to rehair bows and set up instruments. No one within many miles can do this sort of thing.

So my first project is to set a soundpost in one of my instruments. And then on to rehairing my bows.

What I've seen from setting the soundpost seems somewhat straightforward. But from my experiences in building scopes, I know that will never be the case. I have the post set and am experimenting a bit with positions. I'd appreciate any tips or suggestions.

Also, can anyone point me to a good resource on bow rehairing?

Thanks

Michelle
Mat Roop

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much out there... try this... it is as good as any that I know.
http://www.amazon.com/Violin-Rehair-Repair-Harry-Wake/dp/0960704817/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210817815&sr=1-1

Cheers, Mat
M.Lange

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put the last coat of varnish on my violin. I started over twice because I didn't like the result. But now I think it looks nice.

Matthias

KenN

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks real nice. I like it both more blonde the way it was and now. Are you hooked yet? Every day I learn something new. I think it must be like people who golf. Every game they play they make one shot that they figure a pro could have made. Every step of the way there is one part of it I figure Strad could have done the same. Now if I could get it up from 5% to 95%!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: