Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

crack in the back rear corner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
winxart

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: crack in the back rear corner Reply with quote

I was just removing the top plate of a violin and i saw a crack in the rear back corner just below the hole of the rear button.
As i'm amateur luthier my question is: is it preferable to remove the damaged corner and replace this by a new one?
[img]

[/img]
MANFIO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would glue it with strong, new hide glue, clamp it gently and let it dry.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7875988@N02/with/464604020/
M.Lange

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the endpin before you glue it. After it has dried cut the hole so that the endpin fits well.
Then cut the endpin to the proper length.
WNitkin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Crack in the top of the lower block Reply with quote

It is hard to clamp the lower block. On average violins one way is to drill some small ½ inch deep holes into the top of the lower block with one on each side of the crack.
http://www.wnpto.com/violin/crack2.jpg
Then put some screws in the holes and insert a drift pin or reamer into the end pin hole to gently force open the crack in the top of the lower block. One can then insert glue into the crack with a thin knife or directly squeezing it from its bottle. Hide glue is fine but you can also use Titebond wood glue as the crack is one that would not be opened again.
http://www.wnpto.com/violin/crack1.jpg
Then one removes the drift pin and clamps the screws so they are compressed toward one another by the clamping action. The excess glue squeezes out of the crack and when the crack is closed wipe up the glue that comes out. A damp q-tip can be used to clean the glue out of the end pin hole. When the glue is dry remove the clamp, unscrew the screws and if you want fill the holes by gluing small dowels in them and cutting the dowel off level with the top of the lower block.
http://www.wnpto.com/violin/crack3.jpg
winxart

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have got a nice idea .indeed it's difficult to clamp this lower corner.
I have a little more grip on my lower corner compared with this you show on your picture and was thinking to make another tool but your way is easy !
winxart

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ask on other violin forum (general violin forum but with a special thread for lutherie ) the same question
Some luthiers there say there it's preferable to change the lower block because that could bring some cracks on the table in the future.other say to glue it .
what do think about?
WNitkin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: crack in lower block Reply with quote

Everyone is correct but it depends on the violin as to what the best course of action is. The method described above I indicated was for average violins. Your violin looks like a Vuillaume copy and it would make sense time-wise to just repair the crack. If you are talking about a fine violin, then the expense of replacing the lower block might be justified. The crack is so small it does not in itself create much tension and in the life of violins they will eventually crack for one reason or another. If you are inexperienced, the replacing of the lower block can be tricky and you may do more damage than good. As long as the crack is just in the upper portion and does not extend all the way through the block to the back, gluing may be the best way to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: