Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mould or Casting Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stefano

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Mould or Casting Problems Reply with quote

I have made many casts of instrument backs and tops for various repair procedures. Right now I am for the first time trying to make a triple cast: negative (as usual), positive from the negative with carefully made arching corrections, and then, from this one, a new negative to use as a sand bagging jig. The problem I am having is finding a separating agent for the casts beyond the first one.

For the first cast I use plastic wrap and a vacuum suction system to get very fine detail. It always works very well. However, I am hoping to find a separating substance to apply to this plaster cast so that separation from the subsequent casting is no problem. The vacuum system is not practical here and the plaster does not weigh enough to push the plastic wrap snugly around the high archings. I have tried wax dissolved in turpentine, gloss spray paint, and olive oil. So far everything sticks. The next attempt will be Kiln Wash but I already find that this material is a bit thick in consistency, and I found out that it is also quite caustic; I burnt a couple of fingers accidentally by rubbing them on the cast to see if it had dried.

I'd welcome some suggestions!

Stefano
FiddleDoug

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: Release agent Reply with quote

Sounds like you're really into some sophisticated restorations. I've never gotten into anything quite that complex. Some people use thin rubber dental sheeting to separate plaster castings. In my other vocation, I work with a glass artist. We often use plaster and similar materials for mold making. We've sometimes used liquid dish soap as a release agent to keep plaster from sticking to wood. It might work plaster to plaster. Are you using sandbags to press the plates into the plaster form?

www.wallindependent.com
Stefano

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Release agent Reply with quote

FiddleDoug wrote:
Sounds like you're really into some sophisticated restorations. I've never gotten into anything quite that complex. Some people use thin rubber dental sheeting to separate plaster castings. In my other vocation, I work with a glass artist. We often use plaster and similar materials for mold making. We've sometimes used liquid dish soap as a release agent to keep plaster from sticking to wood. It might work plaster to plaster. Are you using sandbags to press the plates into the plaster form?

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try. Yes, I'm doing an arching correction on an instrument that had a sound post jammed in it extremely tightly for, it looks like, years. The other complicating factor is that the deformation has likely affected the rib structure and the outline of the top itself. When applying the vacuum suction to the only partially glued down plate, the deformation corrected itself (while under pressure only) while the treble lower point pushed out and the bassbar slightly sagged. It all pops back when releasing the vaccum. So having casted the fully glued down and immobilized plate, I will not be able to press the plate into that somewhat splayed shape. It's all a bit tricky. Shocked

Stefano
Ed Shillitoe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stefano:

The stuff that you need is used in dental labs quite a lot, and is called a 'Gypsum Separator'. Here is a link to some info:

http://www.plastermaster.com/usg/plaster201.htm

You can buy it from pearsondental.com. Their online catalog has about 4 varieties, but the printed catalog has more.

It's easy to use - you just brush it on and let it set. In England it's called "Cold Mould Seal" or at least it used to be.

Hope this helps.

Ed
Stefano

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, Ed! I'm certain that this will do the trick. I've known about this forum for a long time and am amazed at the generosity and good will here; I should have joined a long time ago. I'll let you know about the results.

Stefano
Stefano

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I poured the plaster into the Kiln Wash coated mould which I had left drying for a number of days. Today the new plaster released from the mould with astonishing ease! There was some loss of detail, as I had suspected because of the Kiln Wash being somewhat uneven in texture, so I will be trying other methods suggested above. However, for this present repair, there is sufficient detail to continue. Thanks for the help, all!

Stefano
Geemac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Plaster Reply with quote

Although more expensive, you will find that hydrocal is by far superior to plaster. The hydrocal dries harder and does not break as easily as plaster.
Stefano

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Geemac. I actually do use hydrocal; I used the word "plaster" as a generic term. However, not being much of a chemist, I must confess that I know virtually nothing about plaster in general. How does the stuff work? I know there is a chemical reaction of some sort and that it heats up during the reaction (important topic for violin restorers since one must use caution not do damage plates while casting). What is the difference between plaster, plaster of Paris, hydrocal, and guaging plaster? Yesterday I used guaging plaster for a sound post patch mold. In one day I was able to pour the cast, let it harden, and cut and glue the patch. It seems to set and cure really fast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: