Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Downcut router bit/end mill???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barry Dudley

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Downcut router bit/end mill??? Reply with quote

I cannot seem to find a "downcut" spiral bit from McMaster Carr or MSC. I find the "upcut" size to use in my Foredom tool but not the "downcut" bit.

StewMac has them but they are twice what I have paid at McMaster Carr or MSC.

Can anyone help with a source or part #?
Andres Sender

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW none of us use downcut, not Michael D., not Coen, not Craig Tucker, nobody but the guitar people and the occasional violin maker who presumably can work with the restricted sizes, as far as I know.
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because they push chips down into a closed hole, they tend to break more often when used for purfling. On guitars, where the cutting is usually open-sided to give room for the chips to clear, this isn't a problem.
David Tseng

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is downcut or upcut? Is the difference in the left or right hand thread? Is normal drill bits upcut or downcut?
Andres Sender

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normal drills and mills are upcut--they remove waste upwards out of the cut, and yes the difference is the handedness of the flutes.

[edit--Chris--and then I stole the last bit of your thunder by adding the bit about flutes before I saw you there! Razz ]

Last edited by Andres Sender on Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
Chris Knowlton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Andres we posted at the same time.

It depends on the direction of the flutes. A standard drill bit is an example of an "up-cut" bit. The spiral flutes bring the waste wood up and out of the hole. A "down-cut bit typically leaves a cleaner edge because it shears the wood fibers by directing them down whereas an "up cut" bit can lift the wood fibers around the hole or channel depending on the type of wood and on how sharp or dull the tool is and how fast it is spinning.

Last edited by Chris Knowlton on Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Chris Knowlton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW My first attempt at cutting a purfling channel using a drill press and an up-cut bit did not end well. When repositioning my hands I reduced the "hold down" pressure on the plate. The spiral of the bit lifted the plate and the bit cut completely through the plate. Higher bit speed would probably have helped. I went to a down-cut bit and had no problem. Luckily the plate I destroyed was my "practice" plate.

BTW The up-cut bit cut cleanly and works well as long as you hold the plate down.
mikemolnar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darnton is on the money about downcut end mills. My experience is that they are not appropriate for cutting a narrow channel as the chips compact and build up.

I used to put down a coat of sealer (shellac or egg white) before running the Dremel with a regular upcut end mill. This eliminated the frizzies. But I found that simply running a folded piece of 320 sandpaper along the channel cleaned up those frizzies. I now do the latter.

These notes are from I "Segreti" Di Molnari. (Big Grins)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: