Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hollowing the plates first, then outside arch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
actonern

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if the inside was hollowed out first, wouldn't that make the central ventral pin marks even more difficult to explain? If the ventral pin is the filled in leftover of a drilled out hole to help anchor the plate to the bench for arching, it could only perform this function if the outside was worked on first.
CT Dolan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to argue the point, and in reality I am not qualified to do so, but one thing I find peculiar about the ventral pin is that the point (very tip, actually) of the hole projects flush with the exterior of the back (or at least this is what I am led to believe is the case most often, if not all of the time). To my way of thinking, this is significant and implies that the hole is not a remnant of a means of securing the back to a bench. This does not even address the fact that the belly has no such pin (although spruce much easier to work than maple). But, even more so, what of Michael's comment regarding the location of the pin, the balance point of the back (and the relationship between this and the balance point of the belly) in the violins of del Gesu? On that matter, what is written on the subject in Biddulph's publication on the work of del Gesu?

Surely there is more going on here and I am not sure exactly what (and we may never know why these things exist), but I have no doubt that the ventral pin served a fundamental purpose, as opposed to a purely utilitarian one. These are simply my thoughts on the subject, for whatever that is worth.
actonern

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF the plate was held down by a metal screw, and IF the depth of the "screw" was carefully controlled to define the outermost arching height, and IF the makers would quickly work the plate down till they kissed the tip of the screw...
CT Dolan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot of "if" statements and, statistically speaking, the chance of them all being correct are pretty slim, but nonetheless the chance still exists. I have yet to make a real violin, so for me it is all pretty much theoretical, and I've been around long enough to know the lack of value provided by theory alone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: