Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stradivari research
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oded Kishony

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
'Ive been using the same recipe for 20 years now,

Since you brought it up David, care to share with us?

Manfio,

Quote:
Why this Stradivarian atavism?

I've never played an instrument as good as the best Strad. It stands heads and shoulders above the rest.

Oded
MANFIO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oded! I think many players are dreaming with the day they will upgrade from a Strad to a Del Gesù....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7875988@N02/with/464604020/
David Tseng

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason is like this: one could copy the shape and thickness as close as possible like Vuillaume did but still could not copy the sound. The varnish of many old violins had worn out but still sounded great. We therefore came to the conclusion that their wood is different.

Oded, I have not cracked i segreti di Stradivari. We all have to do our homework.
Oded Kishony

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The reason is like this: one could copy the shape and thickness as close as possible like Vuillaume did but still could not copy the sound. The varnish of many old violins had worn out but still sounded great. We therefore came to the conclusion that their wood is different.

Hi David,

There are several other possibilites including the effect of the sealer and or sizing. Or construction method not yet understood. Sacconi for instance suggested that the Cremonese may have voiced their instruments in the white from the outside.

Oded
CT Dolan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked the questions below in the forum on Stradivari's duds and thought Id ask them here as well, in case some of you are not navigating the other forum. So, here goes:

Of the two most highly-regarded makers, Stradivari and del Gesu, whom would you rather spend a week working alongside, and why? What if I threw Andrea Amati into the mix, where would he rate? I know these are rather silly questions, but humor me.
CT Dolan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I have a couple other questions which may seem off topic, but in reality are not.

In the Biddulph publication on the work of del Gesu (whose violins are beyond description on so many levels, if you ask me), in particular in the section that deals with the Cannone (a gracious gift, but I'll say no more), the author (Roger Hargrave?) mentions the lack of a ground coat on the wood, namely "...and no separate ground coat is easily distinguishable; areas of intact, slightly opaque orange-brown varnish give way suddenly to dirty, raw wood." What can we make of this? If this is true, why is the ground coat given such great significance?

Second, in the Sacconi publication on the work of Stradivari, he mentions a treating of the internal surface of the wood. What is the current thought with regard to this observation?

To many here, the questions I have asked above may seem pedestrian, but I am curious with regard to the above, so please answer if you are able.
CT Dolan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the above, let's make our experience in the shop of the Cremonese master of your choice a full apprenticeship so we can actually learn something, and get to know the maker in person. Again, I realize that it is a bit of a silly question, but the reasons for choices have the potential to make it interesting.
Michael Darnton

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CT Dolan wrote:
I asked the questions below in the forum on Stradivari's duds and thought Id ask them here as well, in case some of you are not navigating the other forum. So, here goes:

Of the two most highly-regarded makers, Stradivari and del Gesu, whom would you rather spend a week working alongside, and why? What if I threw Andrea Amati into the mix, where would he rate? I know these are rather silly questions, but humor me.

This was a question in one shop where I worked. I chose Nicolo Amati, and no one understood, because he's not a very highly respected maker. My response was "look at what his students did, and look at the students of del Gesu and Stradivari and what they accomplished [that is, nothing]." If I wanted to be an apprentice, I'd choose the best teacher, not the best maker. in that vein, Andrea Amati would be my second choice.
CT Dolan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good response, very good indeed. We can guess at the reasons why Stradivari and del Gesu left no accomplished apprentices in their wake, and no doubt some of this may be due to the personality of the maker (which means that even though immersed in their environment, we might not learn much). Actually, this is the reason I threw Andrea Amati into the mix, but I had never given thought to Nicolo. Once again, my lack of experience and knowledge shines through!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: