Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting over nerves.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteWolf

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Getting over nerves. Reply with quote

I get nervous whenever people are around when I'm playing so I my playing doesn't sound as good. Anyone have advice on how to get over nerves?
ollieken

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Stage fright Reply with quote

Google in stage fright lots of reading on this
I asked that ? here & was told Know what you are going to play & give it your best I keep in mind that there are better players than me & some are not as good & I am going to have fun doing it

One thing that helped me a lot is we have 10 or more people & every one has a turn playing their tune . Then the groupe joins in
If one has trouble someone will help out & soon you are looking forward to play another tune & the shakes are gone & if you mess up play one that you really know .<play easy ones at first > You are not alone with stage fright Lets have a little chat about this folks Ken

Last edited by ollieken on Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fiddledeedee

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the same way. We go camping alot and I love to fiddle around the camp fire at night. I can play well as long as other people stay at their site, but once people start coming around to see where the music is coming from my fingers turn stiff and just don't want to move the way the need to. Rolling Eyes

One time tho a guy came up and asked if he could try. He said he played, so I said sure Confused ( with hesitance) WOW Shocked I never heard my violin sound so good. Put me to shame real fast!!! He did mention tho that he's been playing fiddle for 20 years, and plays in a band. Tought me a few things, and said I play well for only being at it for 2 years and said he still gets the gitters when ever he plays in public. I don't think the nervousness stops just something you get used too. Wink
WhiteWolf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appriciate all the tips. I take private lessons (in the middle of getting a new teacher) so I don't practice with any other people. But I'll be practicing at home with just my parents and my fingers refuse to move, my bowing turns squeaky, and my self esteem goes down. Crying or Very sad Would practicing pieces I love instead of what my teacher says make a difference?
ollieken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Fiddledeedee Reply with quote

Be sure when you go to play that your fiddle is in tune hitting
a string that is off will throw you & shake you up Pick up notes like a few bars of the tune or double stops in the key of the tune helps to get you
on track

I dont try to play a tune i just learned a day or so ago You try too hard to remember it. Just play the ones that you know well & try to forget who is watching but try to peek If they are tapping there feet you are doing ok also the one that is playing Guitar or piano hides a few off notes Ha ha
BTW What kind of Music do you play around the campfire ?
Are we the only ones with the Jitters
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
little lady

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to read "The Inner Game of Music" by Barry Green. Anyone who gets nervous playing in front of people should read this.
Fiddledeedee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play mostly simple bluegrass tunes like "Stone's Rag" "Blackberry Blossom" "Devil's Dream" "Liberty" to name a few.

I also play a few Irish Tunes like "Temple Jig" "Swallow's Nest" "Harvest Home" "Butterfly" to name a few more.
grace

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Fiddledeedee Reply with quote

ollieken wrote:
Be sure when you go to play that your fiddle is in tune hitting
a string that is off will throw you & shake you up Pick up notes like a few bars of the tune or double stops in the key of the tune helps to get you
on track

I dont try to play a tune i just learned a day or so ago You try too hard to remember it. Just play the ones that you know well & try to forget who is watching but try to peek If they are tapping there feet you are doing ok also the one that is playing Guitar or piano hides a few off notes Ha ha
BTW What kind of Music do you play around the campfire ?
Are we the only ones with the Jitters

great advice ollieken!

Just this morning, I was told that I would have to play tomorrow morning in the school gym and the very thought of it made me nervous and sweating like hell... I've played in front of other people before but my audience has never been over 20 and I just know my performance was BAD!

I was told to play Gossec's Gavotte (which I've been playing since December but has not perfected yet--in front of other people anyway) and I started contemplating on doing Paganini's "Witches' Dance", which I got to study just the other day, instead. But now come to think of it I'd rather do the Gavotte for emergency purposes.

Wish me luck and pray I don't faint!
ollieken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Grace Reply with quote

Grace How did you make out playing ? Been away for week hope it went ok for you
A lot of times I have my mind made up to play a tune & when i get up on the stage another tune comes to mind that i can play good & that is what I play & it turns out ok
Some times 30 people play before you & someone will play the tune that you were going to play So I try to keep a spare one kind of hidden
in my little brain !!! One thing to keep in mind the good players all
went through the same road & they understand Good luck Ken
grace

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank God i went through it barely unscathed!

Actually it turned out well since people were more interested by the fact that they are looking at a violin up close and were fortunately completely inattentive to my playing even if I was shaking so badly (I played a piece I could play asleep called Silver Strand in the end)

What made me very nervous was the fact that I was on immediately after the national anthem and of course the 100 people in the huge hall were very terrifying!

But at least I don't have to worry about repeated tunes Very Happy
gjk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: about the shaking.. Reply with quote

Maybe people interpret the shaking as a really cool vibrato effect. Feels great when your done, doesn't it. This sunday I played in the church band and did a short solo with my daughter(first time for her) and we nailed it. It felt awesome! g
LSOviolinist

Location: Los Angeles, California/Boston, Massachusetts/New York, New York

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Stage fright Reply with quote

I have found a great way to banish stage fright almost entirely. I used to always get nervous before going into an audition, until one day. The story goes: I had practiced this really hard piece by Handel (I think), and I went into the audition confident, but as soon as I saw the judges I completely lost all my confidence and my bow started to bounce, and I got a really inconsistent tone, picked up my pinky, and so on. A few weeks later I got a call that I didn't make it. I got so angry because I was good enough to be in the orchestra, then I realized the power of passion. The next time I had an audition with them, I grabed the anger that I had before, and from that I got passion, so even if I did mess up I became more passionate, and I can truly say, that this has worked tremendously for me throughout the years. Just grabbing that passion you get from anger, then letting the anger go away and holding the passion. Just make sure not to show the "anger" outwardly, because this might give the wrong impression to the audience or judges.
ollieken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Grace Reply with quote

Grace Glad to hear that your playing went ok it Ken

Fiddledeedee sounds like your doing ok I like harvest home I think
it is the one i am thinking of learning Sorry for the late reply
Geemac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Stage fright Reply with quote

It is this simple. There is no way whatsoever for you to control what others may think. Therefore, worrying about what they think is not to be done. Instead, just play the very best you can and if they do not choose to enjoy it, then the lack of enjoyment is their problem and not yours.

If you play for others enough the stage fright will go away, so dive in and play for others at every opportunity.
mshikibu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a bunch of stuff about this on the Violin/Viola FAQ, including links to other resources, including the Barry Green book. See:

What is the best way to avoid being nervous at a jury or an audition?
http://beststudentviolins.com/AuditionsGigs.html#1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Musician's Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: