Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index Violin Forum/Message Board
Provided by Violin Vision

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plate warp, bend back or leave alone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KenN

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Plate warp, bend back or leave alone Reply with quote

I've been working on two bellies and a back and have another almost finished back. A few weeks ago we had the snow finally melt and a lot of rain. The power went out for 13 hours so the sump pump didn't run and the basement got about 5 inches of water. Somehow a wet towel got under the finished back and the back sucked all the water up. I just noticed it yesterday. Now that it's dried up I'm sure I can glue it since it will go flat when I push down on it, but it has a dimple maybe 1.5mm deep in about a 20mm diameter just off center at the bottom of the lower bout.
Should I just leave it like that, (it will probably not ever get that wet again!) or should I try to bend it back somehow? I think a Strad issue had something about sandbags, heat, water and a mold, but I just sorta skimmed that because I'll never need to do it! What would you do?
MANFIO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it will do no harm... Cremona is quite damp and Venice in almost inside the sea... old makers had this problem too, I think.

But if you are worried, just clamp the sides of your back on a flat surface for somedays, it will get flat again.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7875988@N02/with/464604020/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Violin Forum/Message Board Forum Index -> Violin Making and Restoration Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: